No power gain??

lineworker24v

Diesel Addiction
I have a 94 12valve that was tuned by jim jessup. 4k govner springs, #10 cam plate, 16 degrees in timing, and capped waste gate. Just to tool on it, my buddy and i made my stock plate a #0 and adjusted the star wheel out. On the test drive i let it warm up abit and then got on it afew times. Didnt notice any power gain and the smoke level stayed the same. I just thought id notice a fueling curve goin from a #10 to a 0. I anyone could explain to me why, id like to learn. Thanks!

And you did this on who's dyno? You cant go by seat of the pants. You cant feel 20-25 hp difference by just driving it

well i never thought about not noticing it i guess, but your right 20 or so horse isnt that much as far as settin you back in your seat. Thanks!

I have seen better driveability and noticeable differences in just a star wheel adjustment...
What lift pump you have? If it's a high mile stocker it may not be doing anything for you.

the mechanical lift pump was only puttin out about half of what it was suppose to but it was replaced when jim jessup went through it about three years ago. so it should be good far as i know anyways! lol

was it putting out half of what it should be cause it was bad or the OFV was/is bad? try taking the plate out and see what it does. did you put the plate back in the stock location or did you slide it all the way forward?

The pump was bad. Plate and afc are both slide towards the front of the truck. Just like i had it before we swopped plates.

have you checked fuel pressure since then? the OFV might be bad now.

no i have not checked it since. i can try and check it out next weekend when i get back from work. would i notice anything actin funny becides that? cause it runs great and dont act like its runnin out of fuel.

Fuel pressure could be an issue if your not getting enough. I took the plate out of mine when it was stock with 4gsk and it made a world of difference.

You said to took your plate out. I was told by the that was part of writing the cummins12 valve manual, to never run without a plate. He said it can batter the hell out of, i think he said the rack? and could cause it to break off and the motor will be a run away. Is this true??

Maybe but there are several people on this site and others that don't run a plate. Going on 5 years now and no issues

Maybe but there are several people on this site and others that don't run a plate. Going on 5 years now and no issues

Ive had mine out for 2+ years now. Take your plate out just to check. If it doesnt make much or any difference I vote fuel pressure issue.

Back