No start...Keyless click. HELP

DirtyBlonde

The Pink & Black Attack
In the midst of running errands today, I came back to my truck and found that when I tried to start it...It made one lame atttempt and that was it. No start.

I turned the key again, and nothing. No turning over, no dash lights, no charge, not a thing except for the brake light on the dash.
Then, after I turned the key to the off position a "clicking" noise began. Remove the key...the noise persists. It's an electrical sounding clicking coming from somewhere in the dash and I kid you not...It sounds like the seat. Don't laugh. I mean it.

Turn the key to on, clicking stops. Off, starts again.
Then, I got it home after a tow to find out that holding down the brake pedal also makes the clicking stop.

Uhhhhh...?

starter contacts need to replaced, most likely. get the larry b's kit

Already got the Larry B's on there...

I'll screw with those tonight though when I get home in hopes of hunting down Larry and telling him I don't like the contacts so much :)

Thanks, Bob

hey are the batteries fully charged? alt working? If you did the Larry B;s then you should be good to go.

You must silence the masses :Cheer:

As of this morning they were fully charged... And the alternator seemed to be just dandy... However, I arrived home to find the tow truck had dropped my truck directly in the middle of the driveway at the top of the hill. (Why...I have no idea...)

So tomorrow AM, my burly friends and I shall push it towards the garage and dive into what's up.

I have a feeling it's starter related. Like I said...If so, Larry B is sooooo getting a letter. Haha.

And geez, thanks for all the help you quiet bunch of windbags. Billy? Anybody? Help!

I would say check the battery voltage first. It really sounds like a dead battery. The clicking is usually from relays turning on then they loose power so they turn off and keeps repeating very quickly. One easy way to test is to turn on the headlights to bright and see if the lights shine bright. If so, leave them on for about 2 min and see if they dim at all.

I know...shocking...My piece has electrical woes. Who wouldda thought?!?!

For background (guess I shoulda mentioned this)...
Both batteries are new as of a month ago, however I don't doubt one or both could be having issues. HOWEVER, the headlight test is a moot point. I have a different problem regarding a headlight that only works if you whack it with the palm of your hand and they never work right anyhow. Shut up, Scott.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Batteries are comin' out in the AM to get a once-over.

I would also check your ground cable that goes to the motor. A friend of mine had this happen to his dodge and the ground cable was bad.

DirtyBlonde said:
As of this morning they were fully charged... And the alternator seemed to be just dandy... However, I arrived home to find the tow truck had dropped my truck directly in the middle of the driveway at the top of the hill. (Why...I have no idea...)

So tomorrow AM, my burly friends and I shall push it towards the garage and dive into what's up.

I have a feeling it's starter related. Like I said...If so, Larry B is sooooo getting a letter. Haha.

And geez, thanks for all the help you quiet bunch of windbags. Billy? Anybody? Help!

Billy has been hunting, shush blondie :poke:

OK, after thinking on it a bit here's the rundown I would do.

Start simple and check every fuse with a meter, check voltage at batteries and at starter terminal. Then lets dive into the Power Center. Check incoming voltage there and then turn the key on, you should have stuff start getting juice, if no juice you need to go back further in the system and look at the key switch and make sure power is flowing through there correctly. If all checks out there you will be back out to the PDC and start checking relays for functionality. Pull them out and bench test them, two alligator clips and a meter should do it, just follow the schematic that should be on the relay.

If that doesn't pinpoint the problem let me know what all you do and we'll go from there.

same type of thing happened to me, i installed a set of larry bs about a year ago and now i was getting a hard start and slow cranking and eventually a siezed starter. it eventually siezed up and in my typical style i hit it with a hammer until it cranked over, it started throwing sparks all over and died so you might wanna consider that... my truck now starts awesome, like it used to.

lol i had the same thing happen to me out in the middle of nowhere in texas an wouldnt you know it , the starter somehow wasnt getting a ground good enough {had to tighten the mounting bolts } works good since

Clean you battery terminals and then- Clean your GROUNDS,GROUNDS,GROUNDS,GROUNDS!!!!!!!!!Battery to body, body to frame, engine to frame, all of them, front to back.

These trucks also like an additional ground from frame to block, battery cable size.

It is much easier to pinpoint other problems when the system is grounded properly.

If there are no dash lights, radio, dome lights, etc., like it seems, the starter is not the problem.

I would follow Billy's and sleddy's advice, and go from there. Make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.

Didnt you have a electrical problem a couple of months ago? What was that? I agree with all of the above.

Dear Technical Support E-Crew,

Thank you for your sound advice. And yes, John...I had this same crap a couple months ago when I cleaned all the grounds, have since been a freak about them, blahbety, blah. Thanksgiving morning after re-charging my batteries, I hooked 'em back up, looked at the truck and said:

"Don't do this to me, you bastard."

I then turned the key and have had no problems since. Apparently, he just needs to be threatened. I'll keep ya updated. I'd like to find out why it does this once every 10 weeks and stop the madness.

John Robinson said:
Didnt you have a electrical problem a couple of months ago? What was that? I agree with all of the above.

...and a couple of months before that......and a couple of months before that....and.......well, you get the picture...

I'm willing to bet Chrysler put that particular truck together with rusty scotch-locks...:hehe:

DirtyBlonde said:
Dear Technical Support E-Crew,

"Don't do this to me, you bastard."

Ive heard those words before... though it wasn't truck related!!!LOL:blahblah1:

Back