No start, only click

bigc19

94 2500, never really had any issues starting. Replaced some cables a few months ago, and it started even better. New alternator and external regulator, even better. I drive it long distances often, never an issue. Today, I drove about 100 miles, parked for 30 or so minutes, go to start it, and click. Just a singular click. Tried hitting the starter to no avail. Bought a new starter because that's what all my searching came to, and I have the same issue. Busted "new" starter as well? Or is there something I'm missing. Thanks guys

What's the condition of you Fuel shutoff solenoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know original. It moves when the key is turned. As far as I could tell, all the way up, and down

See if you have power going to the small terminal on the starter when the key is in the crank position. The click you are hearing could be the shutoff solenoid being pulled up and not the starter solenoid clicking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you heard it click once then now nothing you have a connection problem. If you want to verify hook a meter up to the big positive cable and try to crank it. If it drops way down when hitting the key work your way up backwards to the batts and main grounds. Being also you did recently change the batt cables.

If it looks to cave good power at the starter on a meter then check the small wire while trying to crank it, if nothing while.the keys swisted on crank check that wire and where it gets it source.

Check your cables good and the main ground if you don't have a meter, being it clicks once strong then gets weak it sounds like Batt cable's/connections.

Verified the batts are good? What's the gauge say on the dash when you turn your brights on?

With the key on, I'm reading 12 give or take. I'll see what the brights do when I get back to the truck in a few mins

I have power to the main terminal on the starter, but nothing on the small terminal. And that's with the key on. Not sure where to go. I swapped relays, and nothing changed. Still one click

Go to the starter relay, there are several ways and places to jump. Check that you have 12v at the relay, 12v trigger and ground trigger.

If your getting one click the little wire is getting power at least once. You have to check the lit5le wire while someone is "cranking" the truck. If you want to for sure verify without a meter jump the starter between the little and main wire with a screwdriver. Be sure in nuetral if stick shift. I bet it won't crank over, connection or battproblem.

If the shut off solenoid is jumping up your more than likely getting power to the small solenoid wire.

The small wire will only have power with the key in "Start", full forward, position, not when it's just "On".

Only one port in the relay is giving me 12v. #30 on the relay is the only place I'm getting a reading. Tried jumping it at the relay, and same result

With the key in the on position, I jump the main and little on the starter and nothing happens

Jump it at the starter was what I meant, if you can check at the starter on the small wire while someone else is "cranking" the key it will about answer your prob on what's wrong.

Back