noises from nv4500

12vfummins

im on about 3 weeks with my trans swap into my fummins, it shifted get no noises, around 360 miles just about to break in. i down shifted into 3rd last night and a strange noise came from the trans like a squeaking or rattling. would come on here and there, this is after i traveled about an hr its first drive that long so it was a constant temp the whole time. i got home from another hr and its worse now every time i shift its a loud clanking sound/ rattling. i had my friend listen to it and he says it might the the input shaft bearing, it wasnt geting enough fluid, when i filled it the first time i put in 5 quarts to make sure of this. anyone have a clue thanks

Check your fluid for metal.

What fluid did you use?

Was the unit rebuilt before you installing it?

How many miles on it or is it new?

Check your fluid for metal.

What fluid did you use?

Was the unit rebuilt before you installing it?

How many miles on it or is it new?

amsoil mtg yes me and my buddy rebuilt. ive got bout 400 on the rebuild of everything

ok so I tore my trans out tonight and found the input shaft bearing was fine. I took the top cover off and a buddy of mine noticed some grinding on the face of a gear and to the corners of a majority of the teeth. then shined a light to the counter shaft gears, and what we came to conclusion that some how the end play changed when we shimed it the second time and moved enough forward for thos two gears to make contact.

Check the torrington bearing behind the input shaft. I've seen them eat a new bearing for no reason.

My 5th gear decided it would self destruct yesterday....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358615938.360036.jpg
Ruined both gears... :(

I seriously do not get how that gear can self destruct, yet the wimpy synchro clutch gear holds...

wow that sucks, i got further into my trans and found out when i put it together i put a bigger race on the wrong bearing. it had more end play atleast a half inch to an inch up and down, my bearing was not worth saving. getting parts tomorrow and hopefully its getting put in for the last time!

Is it normal for the nv to make some noise under high loads? My trucks nv4500 will make a good bit of noise when pulling hard in 4th and 5th, at around 25-30 pounds of boost it starts getting loud.

I just rebuilt my NV yesterday, I measured the endplay at .004 before I disassembled the trans, set it at .001.

took 90% of that gear "groan" under heavy load away

keep in mind anything up to .006 endplay is considered spec, but mine sure is considerably more quiet set at .001

I rebuilt mine last week, set it to .0025" and still have the groan/faint rattling sound. I always herd spec is .002-.006, wish i would of know i could of went a little tighter a couple days ago! Dealer only had 4 quarts of liquid gold so i still need to get another and hope that quiets it down a little more

yea i saw that a little bit ago. I'll throw in another quart tomorrow and should be golden

My 95 rattels all the time in 5th i can push my finger on the gear shift twords the dash and it goes away.Any thought?

one of the detent pins for the 5th gear/reverse shaft may be worn, does it feel sloppy going into gear?

The trans in my truck is tight going into all the gears, same as him though makes noise cruising in 5th and it goes away when you push the shifter towards the dash.

Just gonna keep beating on it like a red headed step child, sure the weak link will show eventually. :lolly:

Back