Not happy with CA Conversions transmission work

TwinTurboTim

So I purchased an Allison Conversion from CA Conversions for my 2016 2500. I use my truck to pull my 8k camper. I do like to have fun with this but it's my 3rd truck so I don't use it a ton but do like to drive fast when I can. I thought the Allison transmissions was going to be way better than my 68RFE and since I do drive my truck I didnt want to do the 48 swap especially since I tow sometimes. I should mention I do have a compound setup but with the stock turbo. I paid $16k for my swap stuff and built transmission. They said they would build it to handle roughly 1300hp. They also told me that they have to shim the pump for over 900hp and it would shift really firm. I did confirm that I didnt mind that and understood it would shift firm. When I first installed the transmission I really thought it shifted nice and was surprised they would even mention that this was considered a hard shift. At some point I noticed the trans would slip coming up to hills when I had to put the power down and so since it had not been that long and I didnt want to damage it and called up CA Conversions and they said it would be best to pull it and they could warranty it. I was frustrated but just wanted it done so I got it out right away and sent it back. Well a few weeks later they are saying that because I installed a camshaft that it caused it to start slipping. I installed the smallest cam that Hamilton makes just because I had heard that this would help the truck's power band be moved up to where it can't bend rods. They say that the computer cant catch up when you move the power band up. I am just so worried because my 5 switches go from 300hp to 700hp and that is going to be way more of a jump then a cam would make and I use that switch all the time. Im just super worried that the transmission that failed is going to fail again and they are already wanting me to pay for this repair. They also said the code P0961 was caused by slip but that code is a circuit code for the pressure control solenoid. When I pulled the codes it also had codes for slip in just about every gear. Since they have not admitted any fault or said anything went wrong other then I “powered through the clutches” I just don't have any confidence. I think they computer they use may work for stock power applications but I just dont trust it for any real power. They also say if I do any modifications to the engine i have to send the computer back to get the adaptations reset. I am really wondering if I should ditch their computer setup and go to the ATS computer setup or a different computer setup.

Do you have a list of parts they used in the trans? A lot goes into one that is meant for 1000hp. If they thought you were capped at 700hp they might have skimped on some things. A good builder will generally use the same clutches in every trans, it's the other pieces that get upgraded

It's not a great idea to constantly change power levels on a learning trans like an Allison, BUT I'm not positive how their TCM works with your conversion. Did it seem to flair / hesitate shifts when under heavy throttle?

Last edited:
So I purchased an Allison Conversion from CA Conversions for my 2016 2500. I use my truck to pull my 8k camper. I do like to have fun with this but it's my 3rd truck so I don't use it a ton but do like to drive fast when I can. I thought the Allison transmissions was going to be way better than my 68RFE and since I do drive my truck I didnt want to do the 48 swap especially since I tow sometimes. I should mention I do have a compound setup but with the stock turbo. I paid $16k for my swap stuff and built transmission. They said they would build it to handle roughly 1300hp. They also told me that they have to shim the pump for over 900hp and it would shift really firm. I did confirm that I didnt mind that and understood it would shift firm. When I first installed the transmission I really thought it shifted nice and was surprised they would even mention that this was considered a hard shift. At some point I noticed the trans would slip coming up to hills when I had to put the power down and so since it had not been that long and I didnt want to damage it and called up CA Conversions and they said it would be best to pull it and they could warranty it. I was frustrated but just wanted it done so I got it out right away and sent it back. Well a few weeks later they are saying that because I installed a camshaft that it caused it to start slipping. I installed the smallest cam that Hamilton makes just because I had heard that this would help the truck's power band be moved up to where it can't bend rods. They say that the computer cant catch up when you move the power band up. I am just so worried because my 5 switches go from 300hp to 700hp and that is going to be way more of a jump then a cam would make and I use that switch all the time. Im just super worried that the transmission that failed is going to fail again and they are already wanting me to pay for this repair. They also said the code P0961 was caused by slip but that code is a circuit code for the pressure control solenoid. When I pulled the codes it also had codes for slip in just about every gear. Since they have not admitted any fault or said anything went wrong other then I “powered through the clutches” I just don't have any confidence. I think they computer they use may work for stock power applications but I just dont trust it for any real power. They also say if I do any modifications to the engine i have to send the computer back to get the adaptations reset. I am really wondering if I should ditch their computer setup and go to the ATS computer setup or a different computer setup.

Pmsent

The issue with your kit is it uses the industrial TCU which isn't programable. From what i can tell and i could be wrong. The kit you have only uses the TPS. The TCU generates its load based off that. ATS converts the Cummins data to the Allison data correctly so it runs the way it was designed to. It also converts the Allison data to the Cummins data so your dash, tow haul, tap shift etc. work.

If you have a 68RFE, you only have 3 wires to connect. Everything else is plug and play and if you have a Aisin its 100% plug and play.

ATS Diesel Performance 6 Speed Allison DEMO 2015 Ram 3500 - YouTube

Last edited:
The issue with your kit is it uses the industrial TCU which isn't programable. From what i can tell and i could be wrong. The kit you have only uses the TPS. The TCU generates its load based off that. ATS converts the Cummins data to the Allison data correctly so it runs the way it was designed to. It also converts the Allison data to the Cummins data so your dash, tow haul, tap shift etc. work.

If you have a 68RFE, you only have 3 wires to connect. Everything else is plug and play and if you have a Aisin its 100% plug and play.

ATS Diesel Performance 6 Speed Allison DEMO 2015 Ram 3500 - YouTube

This is bas ass. Now I want one bad.

Its pretty BA setup. This is going to crush companies who offer Allison conversions. Right now ATS supports 2010 to present.

2010-12 68RFE & Aisin - Only two wires you need to connect (Power, Ground) at the battery.

2013-21 68RFE, three wires, same as the 2010-12 but with a fuse.

2013-21 Aisin, 100% plug and play

https://www.facebook.com/ATSDIESEL/videos/215045770451692

If Ram comes out with a 8 speed or 10 speed, ATS will probably be the first to convert it.

Definitely looks like a game changer, be interested to hear first hand from people thatve done the swap.

I hope they offer it to the earlier trucks too

My knee is not going to enjoy the clutch pedal on my NV5600 forever

Back