NV4500 input shafts

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
What is the difference between the 1-3/8" input you can buy most places for $350-500 and the one Haisley sells for $850.

Material. Steel is like wood, different species have different density, harness, flexibility, etc. The Haisley's are a great bunch to deal with, I would call them and simply ask them why!

Last edited:
The 1 3/8 should be aluminum...

Posted via tapatalk if you know what i mean

The $300-500 ones are mostly cast and the $650+ ones are billet. Not sure what kind of power levels the cast ones are capable of handling, or what differentiates them from an OEM NV5600 shaft. Maybe someone more experienced can chime in.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The $300-500 ones are mostly cast and the $650+ ones are billet. Not sure what kind of power levels the cast ones are capable of handling, or what differentiates them from an OEM NV5600 shaft. Maybe someone more experienced can chime in.

Are you saying you know they are a cast iron piece(ductile, or gray)? I would be surprised if they are cast. The volumes, just don't justify casting up a piece. Possibly different materials, but I don't see someone casting a piece of round bar stock to be used for an input shaft....

So do you go and grab the piece of 4340 round stock off the shelf and use it, or a the cheaper option? Possibly the the $850 price is because they sell enough of them to not worry about being the cheapest supplier.
What you will find from Haisley/Scheid etc. They aren't the cheapest places to buy parts, they don't have to be. They sell stuff that works, and with the product you will some of the experience/knowledge that goes along with it.

Last edited:
Not sure. I recently bought a billet model from Valair but before I did, I almost bought a used South Bend shaft until I was told it was cast, not billet. The PO was advised by SBC that he didn't need to upgrade to the billet shaft at his power level.

I'm fairly positive that both clutch companies are selling the same shaft.

Well I've got both a Haisley and a SBC shafts and have not broken either one. And i have f'ed up a few trannies lol I personally have not seen either shaft twisted off which is what is warrantied anyway. The gear is not covered. Not knocking Haisley at all but I would save the money and get the SBC one. I've had them from all the clutch makers and to me they look the same except the Haisley. It appears to be a little shinier finish more like billet.

Did you have the billet one or the cheaper one? (SBC shaft)

Honestly I don't know but I would say the billet one. Six or seven years ago when I got that one I don't remember having a choice. I will see if I can fin my receipt for it. I actually have three trannies with two sbc's and one Haisley. I am currently running the Haisley. Hopefully getting out of third gear will stop the countershaft failures. Lol

fyi our 400.00 shaft is forged, our 700.00 shaft is 4340 billet steel

fyi our 400.00 shaft is forged, our 700.00 shaft is 4340 billet steel

Thanks for clearing that up; I guess that seller was just confused about the construction of that shaft.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm running your billet model but just out of curiosity what kind of power will the forged model handle?

depends on the situation, but typically we dont see the forged breaking until around 800 hp, but start sled pulling, drag racing etc...... then all bets off.

Basically forging is a process in which steel is formed and is used for higher production whereas billet is a lower production method. The quality of metal is the quality of metal be it forged or billet. It can be exactly the same.

Peter

Peter I bought on of your input shaft back around six or seven years ago. At the time I don't remember anything else offered. I have been using that shaft for racing, burnouts, pulling and everyday heavy towing and driving. I have had no problems yet. Which one is that? When I bought my pulling truck I got the Haisley one and it is in a second Trans so if I tore up a Trans I just swapped them out and go. I have ran both shafts with my Powerparts eng weighted triple clutch and both have held up great. Third gear and countershaft, not so much. Lol

Main question being what did I get from you back then?

Cause it appears to handle as much abuse as the other brand one I have.

How does it compare to the input shaft quality in a 5600 as they don't need billet ones.

Not trying to start anything I just know what has worked for me through lack of knowledge. This thread just gotme wondering with all this new info haha.

Back