Nv4500, Nv5600 or ZF-6.. Can't Decide Which One!!

Sudia247

So I originally had a 47RE, and I bought a NV4500. My plan was to buy the Billet 1-3/8 Input Shaft, a Valair or Southbend double disk clutch, and bolt a NV271 T-Case to it. I use my truck for daily driving everyday with most my miles being city. I tow occasionally and I take it off road a lot through rocks or what ever I can clear, or maybe at some point sled pulling.

Now I am second guessing if I want the NV5600 or ZF-6. I know the real only difference is the extra gear of 3 and 4 in the 6 speeds. I would still bolt a NV271 T-case up to it. But I don't want to be in that situation if I ever do have to tow something around 20,000 lbs and struggle in that rare instance. My truck is not very modded yet but my goals are 500+ HP for it.

I also don't know if there is an upgraded input shaft for the NV5600 since it is already a 1-3/8. Is there anything I should upgrade for either transmission I have left out? I want something that can handle 500+ HP with out a doubt and be reliable.

Which transmission should I drop in?? It's making me go crazy!

I just want the most reliable transmission that can handle 500+ Hp...

Well one thing to consider, dont know if you know or not but the ZF has to have a tranny cooler and lines ran. which is cool they sure seem to last longer and keep from smoking internals up or as bad anyways..

Well I might be buying a 5600 today, so now I just need to choose between the NV 5600 and the NV 4500...

The 5600 has a 1 3/8" input already if its from an 01 or newer. Which is stronger will start a debate as there are people on both sides of the fence. I can say for certain the 4500 is cheaper to repair and easier to work on. Ive had great service out of my 3 trucks with 5600's, just 1 broken mainshaft. Replaced alot of 3rd and 5th gears in 4500's

tapatalking from droidx

Last edited:
Well I might be buying a 5600 today, so now I just need to choose between the NV 5600 and the NV 4500...

My vote is the 5600 - just don't lug it in 6th.

Regarding the billet input 4500 vs 5600 input...I don't see that being as big of a deal unless you are going to be doing a lot of sled pulling or drag racing. As I commented above, lugging them seems to ask for the most trouble. $.02

Last edited:
just step up to a medium duty 6speed like they run in the f800's. :pop:

What all do u have to do to put a ZF6 were a NV4500 has been?
Can u use the same clutch?
Are they someone that sells a kit to put one in a dodge or do u have to have it all made, like adapter plate, driveshafts,ect?

There are adapter plates made to bolt a ZF-6 up to a Cummins, but it runs around $800 for the plate adapter. Clutch wise I think you have to use a different one. I actually just bought a HO NV5600 the other day for a decent price. So now I own both the 4500 and 5600. I think Im going to go with the 5600, and sell the 4500.. still not 100% sure, but I think thats the route I might take.

Was u thinking of putting a ZF6 out of a Chevy. U said u was going to use a 271 t-case. I thought the Chevy tranys wasnt all that stought. I thought u wanted one that came out of a 6.0 Ford, but i thought u had to use like a 273 t-case to one of thoses.

Ford has a 271,272, and 273 transfer case. They are all the same except the 273's are electric, the 72' may be electric but I cant remember. Any of them will interchange with a dodge transmission after you swap in the correct input shaft.

Stay away from the chevy ZF6. It has no oil pump and therefore no cooler. Not to mention it is a rather rare bird.

To add a ZF to a cummins you need and adapter plate (duh), flywheel spacer, 6.0 or 7.3 starter, and the clutch is a bit of mix. Southbend and valair can hook you up with that.

As for a reason, ZF6 is just plain better.

My pick for easy driveability,quick shifting and lightweight would be the ZF 6. If you're gonna tow heavy with massive torque my advice is hands down go with the NV5600 but I would HIGHLY recommend adding aluminum cooling covers on the side along with slightly overfilling the case with 50 weight synthetic gear oil. I agree its a pain to work on and much heavier but in my opinion it's the best unit ever put into a 1 ton for heavy towing. You'll understand once you look at the internals. The ZF 6 is the same unit chevy used in corvettes 20 years ago. Ford really helped it out by adding coolers when they started putting them in trucks but GM chose a different approach by running a synthetic fluid designed to take more heat.They also added a bushing, lengthened the shifter throw,and a more angled helical cut on the gears to quite them down and improve the shift "feel". It's a nice unit but keep the oil in both units from overheating and full of oil (stock nv5600's had both of these issues working against it) and towing hard I would put my money on the massive NV5600 any day.

The corvettes and camaros used a t56, and I think they still do.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

The ZF6 used in the corvette was model numberZF S6-40. The truck model number is ZF S6-650.

My pick for easy driveability,quick shifting and lightweight would be the ZF 6. If you're gonna tow heavy with massive torque my advice is hands down go with the NV5600 but I would HIGHLY recommend adding aluminum cooling covers on the side along with slightly overfilling the case with 50 weight synthetic gear oil. I agree its a pain to work on and much heavier but in my opinion it's the best unit ever put into a 1 ton for heavy towing. You'll understand once you look at the internals. The ZF 6 is the same unit chevy used in corvettes 20 years ago. Ford really helped it out by adding coolers when they started putting them in trucks but GM chose a different approach by running a synthetic fluid designed to take more heat.They also added a bushing, lengthened the shifter throw,and a more angled helical cut on the gears to quite them down and improve the shift "feel". It's a nice unit but keep the oil in both units from overheating and full of oil (stock nv5600's had both of these issues working against it) and towing hard I would put my money on the massive NV5600 any day.

Wow thanks for all that info! You have made me more confident in the 5600 I bought. I don't mind shift speed, or ease, I just want something that would drive nice, and be able to handle a ton of weight if I need it to. I really wanted to put in the 4500 for how many parts their are out there for it and how much easier they are to work on. But the 5600 would be way better for towing, and since I baby my trucks, and always service them even before needed, the 5600 should last me many decades. And plus even though most people see it as a negative, it gives me one more gear to row! :D

The ZF6 used in the corvette was model numberZF S6-40. The truck model number is ZF S6-650.

I always thought the t56 was the first 6 speed that GM used in the vettes but after some research it appears that you're right.

Learn something new everyday I guess lol.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Back