NV4500 question

hainesboy

Tech in training
If i had a 2wd nv4500, couldnt i change the tailhousing to work with 4 wheel drive?

yes you can,

right after you change the output shaft to a 4x4 one.

Ok thats what i thought. Wouldnt i also have so swap the transfer case? I know they came in different spline counts for auto and manual. Or i guess Could check with the manufacturer of the rebuild kit. One more, Do i need to get a post-98 mainshaft that has the full splines?

Just one more question. Will the input shaft found on the v10 nv4500 fit a cummins? Ive heard they will but not totally sure. Found a deal almost too good to pass up.

The v10 and cummins nv4500 are both the HD version, so I would think everything would be the same. But someone should chime in and verify that or not.

And do I assume correctly that its the same way with the 4-wheel drive version? i want to make sure before i seal the deal on this tranny.

So the internals and bellhousing is still the same? Just the top cover is of a differant design?

Many thanks Ktown. This deal is official then. Now to collect the pedals, bellhousing, drivelines, transfer case, clutch... So will the top cover still work in my pickup or do i need to change that too?

Just make sure you get the correct T-Case if it didn't come with one. They came two ways. 23 tooth and 29 tooth. The 29 tooth is what you need to look for (the 23 tooth was for the 5.9 gas engine). Then also DLD and DHD options. The DHD T-Case has the PTO side plates.

Again thanks. Ill keep an eye out fir the DHD. Also heard that an np205 would fit but just a theory.

Alright ima hafta bring this one back for some help here, what is the difference in the top plate between the diesel and v-10 nv4500? I have one from a v-10 that i am currently swapping into my 3/4 ton and the shifter location is on the opposite end of the top cover compared to my current getrag. So im wondering if the shifter location would be differant between the 2? I'm extremely doubtful it is but i just gotta ask!

They are the same between the v10 and diesel. the difference is 97 and older take the small round shifter, and the 98 up use the square 4bolt.

Alright den! Much abliged, looks like ima be patchin and gittin myself a new floor mat.

Back