NV4500 shifting issue....

thrashingcows

Last few weeks I've noticed that my shifting between gears is starting to get a little sketchy. Especially 1st(low) to 2nd...it's like the tranny is not slowing down enough and your grinding them into 2nd....not super fast, but enough to make it a chore. 2nd to 3rd seems good, but 3rd to 4th can bee a little rough.

Seems worse first thing in the morning when everything is cold, been about -5*C so not too cold, but never had problem in the past at super cold temps of -25*C.

I'm hoping it's a clutch issue....I have a clutch of unknown age, and mileage, was in the truck when I bought it 5 years ago. I checked it out when I did the 4wd conversion, and it looked great...no major wear on the clutch surface, or hot spots or evidence of slipping on the pressure plate. So I installed a new TO bearing and put it all back together.

Perhaps the Hyd clutch system is failing? Not getting enough "throw" with the pedal travel?

Tranny rebuild got all new bearing, syncros etc...new fluid. So it "should" be OK...I hope.[redface]

Thoughts?

I bought some off E-bay when I rebuilt the tranny and converted it to 4wd. Said it was the right stuff...and have not had an issue for the last 2 years driving it, other then the last few weeks. So either it was the right stuff, or it was almost correct...but not quite. ;)

Been playing with the clutch pedal to see if I can get it to shift better at certain positions. If I just barely press the clutch pedal down and then shift, it is almost a nice smooth shift.

So with it being almost at the top of the pedal travel means...what?

Was the pilot bearing/bushing replaced when it was apart? Why are you using 1st gear all the time?

I barely use first in mine only when loaded. Like shainer said those pilot bearings are problems. I had my flywheel cut and installed a ball bearing. Don't let it stay like that for too long if it is the pilot bearing because it will wreck your clutch. If you can match the rpm and the shifts are smooth without using the clutch then my guess would be bearing.

On another note of the wrong trans fluid is used then I believe you synchro will wear fast and cause the trans to $hit the bed.

Was the pilot bearing/bushing replaced when it was apart? Why are you using 1st gear all the time?

Yes I installed a new pilot bushing. Not a fan of the bearings.

I barely use first in mine only when loaded. Like shainer said those pilot bearings are problems. I had my flywheel cut and installed a ball bearing. Don't let it stay like that for too long if it is the pilot bearing because it will wreck your clutch. If you can match the rpm and the shifts are smooth without using the clutch then my guess would be bearing.

On another note of the wrong trans fluid is used then I believe you synchro will wear fast and cause the trans to $hit the bed.

Can't think how to check if the pilot bushing is going or not?

I just use low to get the truck rolling...it's about 7500lbs with me in the seat....;) I can't think that using low would cause any issues?

Back