NV4500 w/ FUBARed syncros.

kuntryboy369

"That Guy"
like the title says, i screwed up my syncros. and my tranny now shifts at half the speed of smell :bang

where is a good place i can get this thing rebuilt? how much? do i need any upgraded or billet parts (besides the 5th gear nut)? im shooting for 700hp max.

when i powershift it girnds (especially in 4th) when i shift normaly its a little slow (about the speed of "clutchless shifting")

slow shifting can be caused by your cluth not releasing fully. When you put the truck in gear does it want to roll ahead? I would say your 4th gear syncro is probably worn though. Explain what you call " power shifting".

i have been playing with my hydros a little. i had been thinking that myself actualy. it shifts from 1st to 2nd like a champ, 2nd to 3ed is a little slow but no girnding, 3ed to 4th it grinds, 4th to 5th its a little slow too.

no, the truck dosnt roll when it goes in gear.

when i say "power shifting" i mean like what you would do at a drag strip. floor it, smack the clutch, jam it into the next gear, and floor it again.

I had that problem, i had better luck not using the clutch when shifting into 3rd. I bought a kit for $210 with bearings, syncros, seals, and gaskets. A rebuild will cost about $1500 or you can spend $200-300 kit and oil and do it yourself. I took mine apart and found the friction material was missing on 3rd and the rest were fine. Doing it yourself might take a little time. Just some input. As far as upgrades maybe a 5th gear fix. PDR Diesel performance has upgrade parts.

I will tell you right now if you plan to do it yourself I highly suggest getting a a nv4500 rebuild book from quad4x4. There is a ton of little parts that are easy to overlook when putting things back together. And it is no small job. There are a few special tools you will need as well. 5th gear nut socket, mainshaft socket and a few other things. Check out quad4x4 they have everything you need and all the tools needed. Trust me doing it without some of the needed tools wasn't fun:bang

I would do some checking around at shops to see what it will cost to have them do it. I took my first one out, tore it all apart and ran out of time to put it back together. I had all the parts needed and a local shop put it all back together for me for $200. With parts and everything I had roughly $450 in it and totally rebuilt. Just my $.02 and something for you to think about

I know it depends on what is messed up inside your trans, but what kit did you go with? I wont know what all I will need till i get mine a part. But basicly my 3rd gear wants to grind if I dont let the rpms drop to around 1200 or so, and baby it into gear, and the rest just seem to be hard to go into gear most of the time.

Any advice?

if you're planning for big power id definitely recommend an upgraded input and mainshaft.

Garrett

Back