nv5600 lost 1-3 gear?

jeff115

truck pulled into the driveway working perfectly... after backing out, go to put it into gear, and there is nothing there just empty wavy shifter area?! goes into 4-6, and reverse like it should. once in reverse the shifter can travel all over with out getting out of reverse. the only way to get it out is to pus to the right then pull down. cant just pull down any more.:nail:

Where the shifter goes in the top? Or is there another cover? I'm not sure what to look for, as i have never worked on a manual trans.

Put the shifter into what you believe is neutral. Pull the top cover off where the shifter goes through. You will see some slots where the bottom of the shifter engages different gears. Make sure they aren't broken and make sure they are all lined up. Re-install shifter and test if something seemed out of line. My NV4500 had shifting issues once and it was just the forks out of alignment. never had the issue again. I guess it was a combination of worn out parts and hitting just the right spot with the shifter to cause it as a transmission guy put it to me.

Check the nub that goes into the forks. It has a roll pin. Had a trans that only worked in 1,5th and reverse. Dropped the trans. Put the shifter in the back up trans. Same problem only had 1st,5th, and reverse. Pulled the shifter out. Started moving stuff and checking the fork alignment. Noticed the nub would spin. Pulled it out with my fingers and the roll pin was broke. New roll pin and good to go. It cost me a half of a day playing musical trans and head scratching. My friend had same issue as you. He backed out of his driveway took off in 2nd. Went to third, nothing, then 4th, nothing, it went into 5th.

[ame="http://s608.photobucket.com/user/jeff7018/media/Mobile%20Uploads/WP_20151210_13_36_19_Pro_zpsqbkpcvpr.jpg.html"]WP_20151210_13_36_19_Pro_zpsqbkpcvpr.jpg Photo by jeff7018 | Photobucket[/ame]

I was thinking nv4500 for some reason. I forgot the 6 speeds are different. I can't even see the gates

The case slides over the assembly and the rod you see in the pics selects the gear. Man it's been a while since I've seen one apart. Let me get a hold of someone about you're issue. See what he thinks.

I had a very similar issue with mine. Ended up having a bent shift fork

Well it's not the gates because if it was you wouldn't have 4th. It could be a linkage issue.

Does it grind or feel different when you try 1-3 ? Do you have to push it in harder ?

Last edited:
Had the same problem. Broke a shift fork during a hard 2nd to 3rd shift doing something dumb. The bum thing about a NV5600 there isn't much you can do without pulling the case off. I would pull it and take it to a good builder. Shouldn't be very expensive. I think mine was less than $250.

I tried doing my own nv5600 once. Never again! Lol. They make a 4500 look like childs play.
2861c0ee89e3b7c925013e1f0c500b8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back