Nv5600 rebuild

Wrangler_fb_33

Guys I have destroyed 6th gear in my 5600 for the second time. I'm needing something stronger. I know there is cryo treating but what other option are out there. Truck is a 2wd so is never hooked to a sled . Should be 800+ whp
Any help is greatly appreciated

I'm also curious. I'm on NV5600 #3 and just pulled it out because it's junk now too. I'm planning on rebuilding this one myself and would like to know if there are any upgrade components available.

Not yet. Haven't grown the "fortitude" yet. That, plus I'm trying to find out if I absolutely need any of the thousands of special tools they list for doing this in the book.

mhuggler what are you breaking specifically. Also if six gear is an issue are you lugging it bad? That can be murder on a trans. I had a 5600 in my 01 with twins on it and never had any issues. And i was extremely hard on that truck. They really shouldnt be breaking so often in my opinion.

mhuggler what are you breaking specifically. Also if six gear is an issue are you lugging it bad? That can be murder on a trans. I had a 5600 in my 01 with twins on it and never had any issues. And i was extremely hard on that truck. They really shouldnt be breaking so often in my opinion.

Only the first one ate 6th gear. Since then it's been bearing seizures. And yes, I've already tried every suitable lube on the planet already. I'm clueless now. :banghead:

Are you over filling to get more oil?...Power lube modification that standard gear or blumenthals does?.. next option is a medium or heavy duty trans... thats what I'm doing next.
Thanks,
Deo

Are you over filling to get more oil?...Power lube modification that standard gear or blumenthals does?.. next option is a medium or heavy duty trans... thats what I'm doing next.
Thanks,
Deo

What model trans are you looking at going to. I have been looking for something also, and there are not many options for synchronized medium to heavy transmissions.

As I recall the spicer 7 speed in my old service truck was synchronized, I was never really impressed with it though, I always ended up shifting it like an un-synchronized trans.

Now that I think about it though all of our Mercedes semi tractors in the middle east were synchronized, I guarantee that those twin turbo v-8's were producing more torque than our hopped up 5.9's. Getting one, and getting it to fit is another problem though.

Last edited:
Single biggest problem I have is getting quality replacement parts for the 5600. Bogus cheaply made parts are flooding the market. More often than not if I need an odd ball gear I call these guys. http://www.qaud4x4.com

Now if you have wasted 6th gear that many times then either you have been getting crap parts, whom ever rebuilt had the end clearance wrong, incorrect lube or abuse.

Like I stated I was wide open at 95ish mph. I have hear 6th is a small gear and just can't handle it. Anyone had theirs cryo'd with good results?

I've read, been told and heard that you never abuse a trans in overdrive. 6th gear in these transmissions is over drive.

I was also in 6th and wide open around 80-85 psi when I grenaded my first NV5600, never got to find out what failed though.

Eaton fuller's fs and fso comme in synchronised and unsychronised version. IIRC most in school buses where synchronised.

Back