NV5600 Shifter service/rebuild.

jimbo486

Just as the title implies...

Mine has some side-to-side play in it and had me wondering. So I removed it and checked the plastic bushing at the bottom and it seems to fit snug in the pocket on the shift fork rails. I stumbled upon some pictures from BD Diesel's short shifter install instructions. Since replacing the shift arm is obviously required, it shows the shifter and associated parts separated from the tower. It has 2 small rectangular bushings that it pivots on, fore and aft. They look to be a teflon type of material. I've been to a dealer and poked around their system with them looking at parts diagrams and whatever they could see. Nothing showed for a shifter bushing except for the aluminum bushings that are used for the flange bolts. Aside from those, all they show for the shifter is the assembly itself and their list price is about $350!! :umno:

I'm thinking that 2 small pieces of teflon or similar material (maybe even brass or bronze) could be shaped using the originals as templates. Or if they're worn too much, use some calipers or micrometers to gather dimensions and build from them.

Has anybody serviced or rebuilt their shifter assembly? What did you do? Something similar to what I have in mind? Thanks.

Holler at Mark Nixon, he may be able to come up with those bushings you're talking about. The 4500 has something similar, searched all over the place but couldn't find replacements. Mark had a broken shift tower and was able to send me those two bushings

I would think that bronze or aluminum would work great, as it's almost impossible to find those things to do a simple rebuild.

I just might look into getting some brass, bronze or aluminum to shape. If it was bad enough to annoy me or have me concerned, I'd send Mark a message.

These are the bushings I'm referring to for anyone curious. I was mistaken, they allow the arm to pivot side-to-side. Could be the culprits.

0ec6f517e8d2f820b24f42b0927e7f8f.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I had one of those break in my 4500, caused all kinds of slop in the shifter.

I had called allstate to see if those bushings could be bought by themselves. The guy told me they could be bought, but he didn't mention any part numbers, so I asked if he could sell them to me. He him hawed around and pretty much told me to google it to find them.

So I pretty much went through the same steps you've already been through..

did buisness with allstate gear company a while back and will not ever do it again ordered lot of money in parts only to never get them and when i tried calling customer service to get a refund they would always put me on hold or hang up!
i finally had to go through BBB to get it solved, you may have better luck but just a warning from my expiernece

did buisness with allstate gear company a while back and will not ever do it again ordered lot of money in parts only to never get them and when i tried calling customer service to get a refund they would always put me on hold or hang up!
i finally had to go through BBB to get it solved, you may have better luck but just a warning from my expiernece
Sorry to hear that. I have ordered from them 15+ times over the last 8yrs and never had any issues. Makes you wonder why certain transactions go wrong.

Nagolitos is a good place in San Antonio to try also. Their customer service is better than Allstate. I may be wrong, but I think they sell remanned shifters too...

Nagolitos is a good place in San Antonio to try also. Their customer service is better than Allstate. I may be wrong, but I think they sell remanned shifters too...

I retract this statement, it's the other way around... Allstate treated me better than nagolitos. I get them confused at times, sorry for the confusion :doh::doh: LOL.

But it does go to show how some businesses treat a person one way, and another person a completely different way..

Back