O-ring or fire-ring

You could get you a sheet of copper and get creative. The hypermax gaskets crush into the gasket. Mixed reviews on them because of the ones I know of some used stock bolts. But if you fire ring it please for the love of god find a competant shop that can machine the grooves correctly and not .010 deeper on one side than the other. Read that as someone that can get the head on the mill leveled so its within .001 inside of a 5 inch circle.

ya i im pretty sure i have a shop that can do it locally. they do cummins heads all the time, that doesnt mean they know the 6.0, but i will make sure they know what they are talking about.

so do you suggest fire ring or o- ring, and where to get a GOOD kit from?

The ATS kits are good. Factory gasket punched out to accept the .125 wire ring. You "could" make your own.... but its already done. They are the ones I use.

ok thanks doug. i would just buy the one already made. i dont want some thing i made not work cause its not the easiest thing to just take apart real fast and correct.

O-ring is in the block or the head and compresses the gasket into a reciever groove. Fire ring. Is in the head or the block but the gasket is outside of it.

Deck the heads, and leave it at that unless you have the motor out and can deck the block too. Fire ringing or O-ringing decrease the amount of surface area that is being "clamped" together. Ask Gene about his experience with fire ringed heads on stroked lightning.

Deck the heads, and leave it at that unless you have the motor out and can deck the block too. Fire ringing or O-ringing decrease the amount of surface area that is being "clamped" together. Ask Gene about his experience with fire ringed heads on stroked lightning.

ok. thanks for the good info on that.

what are you going to be doing on deranged heads?

They and the block are decked and are 100% flat. No rings at all.

ok thanks. i might just go with just gaskets again and make sure everything is perfectly flat. the motor will be out, so there is no reson not to get the block decked as well.

My truck is fire ringed we had no luck with the ATS Cut heads so we bought the 6.0 Jig and now do those along with the Cummins. We had two sets of ATS heads and they were both cut incorrectly. We haven't had any trouble yet on the trucks we cut them on except for a ring that slipped out of the grove unnoticed until we fired it up and instantly pushed coolant (that is why it has taken me so long to put my truck back together). If I were to do it all over again I would deck the block and heads then studd it and be done.

I have the ATS fire ring kit, had a local shop cut the heads and haven't had any problems with them..

I don't follow the logic there... by having less surface area for the combustion gasses to act against, there should be less upward force on the head. Although realistically it's probably less than 1%.

I remember a big crap storm about this stuff about a year ago with everything from blown bottom ends to erectile dysfunction...

Back