odd question about 6.4

SaundersDiesel

No Smoke from a 12v?
What all do I need off of a 6.4l truck to get the motor and transmission working in a different vehicle. I have been thinking of pulling the 24v out of my 79 f150 and replacing it with something more ford.

Wow. I can't fathom why you would want to do such a thing......Start from scratch with another truck and sell this one at least. From what I hear you're gonna have to do alot of fab work to make that fit between the frame rails.

It was my grandfathers truck it isn't going anywhere. It is sitting on a 89 diesel frame. We originally put in the 24v but I have enough Cummins trucks to go around and its not like its my daily just a toy o will never stop working on.

I'd keep the Cummins. There is a reason why everyone converts to a Cummins

You will want the ECM and wiring harness as much of the fuel system as you can get. Basically the more you have the easier it will be.
If you get a 6.4 in a f150. You might want a chute and wings. Cause she's gonna fly.

I love my 12v's, but I love my 6.4 also :eek:

if you delete them, they're pretty damn reliable actually

BUT, the Siemens controls are a PITA. To do the swap, you pretty much have to swap everything from a donor truck. Far from impossible, but not nearly as easy as even a CR Cummins.

I would definately start with a donor truck, probably wrecked, and as was mentioned before once they are deleted and be very reliable and make some pretty good power relatively cheaply

Going to copart in the morning to look at a rear totaled f250 2009 there is no bod right now but tappy"my dispatcher" at copart said they are normally going for 2.5-5k which is not bad at all.

it wont be that tough actually. and the 6.4 is rapidly catching/caught up to the CR cummins. reliability.. well they all have their issues, but the 6.4 can be very reliable up to 1000 with only a few preventative measures. and its VERY EASY to make 1000 in a 6.4, but i doubt thats what the OP is trying to do.

Just got back the transmission was busted on this one, case wise still moved amazingly, there are a couple over the weekend that are supposed to be picked up but the paperwork does not describe if they are diesel or not. I may hold off and save a litle bit and buy a run and drive truck for about 8-12k that way I have at least piece of mind on what I am getting into.

I am doing this swap into a 68 C-10 pickup. I also started with a wrecked truck but my motor and trans are full builds so I was worried about a running truck. If only I had time to keep playing with it. Good luck on the build!

I'd love to swap a 6.4 into something. I love my truck so much, I'm looking for another one as a grocery getter for the wife

Back