ODL Dana 70 front

Or put a Dana 70 center section into 60 axle. 80 doesn't have the 6.17 gear ratio that most run for ODL

Ryan B out of the land of Canadia built a D80 front steer axle for his puller a few years ago. I am sure he will chime in here eventually with some info also.

Thanks TJ. In my opinion I would pass on the D80 thing for a couple reasons! There are next to no affordable inner shafts that will work with a D80. Original Superior D60 shafts were the only ones I ever found that would allow to be cut and re-splined for the D80 side gears but that wouldn't help you much as for my application the diff was centered! Gearing was also an issue like mentioned above! A D70 is an option but the true old D70's found in Dodges and some military applications had closed knuckles and a funky joint and other than having a little bit stronger carrier, I don't think the outer part of the axle was actually stronger than a D60 of the day! They are also VERY heavy with the big drum breaks and do not lend very easily to a disk conversion unfortunately because of the knuckles.

In my opinion if you want something strong and don't want to jump to a FDS or F106 front is to go with a 05+ Ford F450 or F550 Super60. They are TUFF TUFF but gearing is limited but if you feel the urge to drop in a D70 center section that axle would be hard to beat! Jump on Pirate and do some searching and you will find TONS of stuff about all the axles I listed above!

Good luck...Ryan

Back