ODL

cumins01

Okay making the jump to ODL in the winter and pulling 3.0 smooth bore. Started over with new chassis, engine so far. Now it's time to start buying the rest of the parts. I have talked to SCS, ProFab, Greensburg Machine, Performance Pros, Steve Barker, Kenny's Pulling Parts, etc. etc. How many of you guys are running the stock NV4500 bell housing with a reverser? I know the cost is cheaper going this route then jumping to a Probell housing or Browell along with all related parts. Just looking for some real world input is all. What, if any are the pros and cons of using a stock bell housing/reverser over a full SFI setup? Would like to build once and done but could use that money somewhere else and upgrade later. Let's hear what you guys have to say.

I used too. Worked fine with the blanket. I just switched when I went to the 4 disc clutch. I ran upgraded hydros from South bend and they worked fine

Last edited:
I know of some former prostock guys running triple disc clutches with a nv4500 bell and reverser. They worked just fine at power levels around 1400-1500hp back then.

Thanks for the input Jeff and Jeremy. I could always up grade later one. Not sure what the new power plant will be pushing.

Best advice i could give is go 4 disc and dont look back. Ive known several guys to have decent luck with 3 discs, but ive also know several guys that they wouldnt last a dozen hooks. Us personaly was getting 3-4 hooks out of a 3 disc. Went to kennys 4 disc and it lasted 40 or so before we had to adjust it. And over 100 before the front disc needed replaced.

Kennys makes a spacer now to put his 4 disc crower style clutch in a nv4500 bell, if you already have to buy a reverser you will get it with the right input from the get go.

If you go 3 disc and decide halfway through the year its not working you will waste quite a bit of money buying a new input and such to fit new setup.

Below is what I ran with a 3 disc clutch along with an aluminum 5/8" spacer plate between the bell and the Cummins spacer behind the block. It will be your cheapest option for an SFI aftermarket bell housing. The reverser hangs from the back of the bell unsupported. The bell will need to be drilled & tapped to adapt to the reverser. I supported the bell with a bracket on each side to the frame.....Hope this helps.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qti-rm-2050/overview/make/dodge

Did you support the reverser itself or just use tabs from the engine plate to the frame and let the reverser hang?

I made a mid plate that went between the backing plate and bell. No support on the reverser

I made a mid plate that went between the backing plate and bell. No support on the reverser

That what I was thinking about Jeremy but wanted to know if the reverser needed support. Do you have a picture of it?

That what I was thinking about Jeremy but wanted to know if the reverser needed support. Do you have a picture of it?

Jeremy posted this a while back and I held onto it for some reason.

062c1521424e04213d49554267559dce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy posted this a while back and I held onto it for some reason.

062c1521424e04213d49554267559dce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have this backing plate, mid plate and bell setup sitting on the shelf if you need more individual pics of it

I still have this backing plate, mid plate and bell setup sitting on the shelf if you need more individual pics of it

I may just hit you up on that. Waiting to see which route to go. Did it hold a 4 disc clutch? I would guess all the parts are for a 5.9 and not a 6.7?

Below is what I ran with a 3 disc clutch along with an aluminum 5/8" spacer plate between the bell and the Cummins spacer behind the block. It will be your cheapest option for an SFI aftermarket bell housing. The reverser hangs from the back of the bell unsupported. The bell will need to be drilled & tapped to adapt to the reverser. I supported the bell with a bracket on each side to the frame.....Hope this helps.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qti-rm-2050/overview/make/dodge

Rick, so you did not use a "adapter plate" between the reverser and bell? Why only a 3 disc clutch with a 5/8" spacer? Would a 4 disc work? How much more modifications do you have to do, to the bell to make it bolt up to a stock flywheel adapter and spacer? I see it has many holes on the bottom. Also is there a inspection cover for it?

I may just hit you up on that. Waiting to see which route to go. Did it hold a 4 disc clutch? I would guess all the parts are for a 5.9 and not a 6.7?

No it wouldn't. I only had a 2 disc in it but i could have put a 3 disc in it. It would hold a 4 if you made the mid plate thicker and that would step the bell back further from the backing plate. This one is for a 5.9

I believe the ppl rules read blow proof bell housing. They may clamp down on the safey stuff when guys are going to the odl. Just saying

I'm running a nv4500 bell housing on mine. Kenny sells a spacer that goes between the adapter plate and bell housing that also has mounting tabs for engine mounting. Also running one of his 4 disc clutches, SCS drop box and reverser. SCS will send an adapter to bolt to the nv4500.

I'm running a nv4500 bell housing on mine. Kenny sells a spacer that goes between the adapter plate and bell housing that also has mounting tabs for engine mounting. Also running one of his 4 disc clutches, SCS drop box and reverser. SCS will send an adapter to bolt to the nv4500.

Thanks for the input Josh. How well is it holding up? 1-1/2 10 input shaft?

Rick, so you did not use a "adapter plate" between the reverser and bell? Why only a 3 disc clutch with a 5/8" spacer? Would a 4 disc work? How much more modifications do you have to do, to the bell to make it bolt up to a stock flywheel adapter and spacer? I see it has many holes on the bottom. Also is there a inspection cover for it?

I made an adapter bolted to the reverser that fit in the existing bore in the bell housing, I then drilled & tapped (4) 1/2-13 holes thru the bell. I also modified the existing Dodge throw out arm for more clearance. I dont think a 4 disc would have fit in this bell housing unless the spacer plate was closer to an Inch thick. I also fabbed a fully adjustable mechanical setup to the clutch pedal, like was in trucks from the 70's and early 80's. You will need to drill holes thru the aluminum spacer plate at the bottom of the bell housing and also for the stock Cummins locations. There is no inspection cover at all on this bell.
Attached are a couple of pics and they are not very good. But you will get the Idea.
Ron

Attachments

• 168.jpg
    168.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
Knock on wood I've only had one drivetrain issue this year. The ears on my slave cylinder broke off and basically dumped the clutch at 4K rpm. Chipped a couple teeth on the front ring and pinion. It's a pretty big chunk of change but I'm absolutely loving it so far

Back