OEM style transmission options

Todd W

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I am wondering whats known about the different trans options available. I believe that there are adapters available to run whatever make of trans with a whatever make of engine. I think Beans and H&S both run a ford trans. I also think that some duramaxes and maybe a few cummins are running the chevy 4l80e. I think I saw an adapter to put a power glide on a duramax as well.
I don't even know what is all available I am hoping we can make a list of some sort to help us make informed decisions on a very expensive part of drag racing. This is intended for a racing app. so lets make every trans good to 1000 HP so we can compare what is needed for each. Would be cool to name sources for parts not common as well. I will attempt to start a list but i am not a trasmission guy, to be honest an automatic is still a little bit magic to me, I basically understand how they work but not completely. my list will be very inadequate but will hopefully serve as a template as how to list the info.

Dodge trans options and upgrades for 1000 HP

47rh
shafts all three
price range:
sources:

valve body work
price range:
sources:

valve body replaced with one to work with pcs controller
price range:
sources:

48re guts
price range:
sources:

billet drum
price range:
sources:

wide band
price range:
sources:

overall price range in parts only:

47re
shafts all three
price range:
sources:

valve body work
price range:
sources:

price range:
sources:

48re guts
price range:
sources:

billet drum
price range:
sources:

wide band
price range:
sources:

overall price range in parts only

48re
shafts all three
price range:
sources:

valve body work
price range:
sources:

price range:
soures:

billet drum
price range:
sources:

wide band
price range:
sources:

overall price range in parts only:

Ford trans options and upgrades for 1000 HP

I don't know please fill in if you do

Chevy trans options and upgrades for 1000 HP

allison
No idea what is needed

4L80E
No idea what is needed

powerglide
no idea what is needed or what engines this can be mated to.

other trans options you might know of please share.

What are you running now? If you've ran 10.24 it has to be pretty stout!

I have a smith diesel built trans, phat input/output and it has been awesome. love it, Just want to know what else is out there for future builds/plans and I think this could end up being very infromative. I know that my trans parts are very expensive, really wondering if all the different models need expensive shafts and stuff, also wondering if any tranmissions are just a plug and play with the pcs or do you have to modify the valve body like the dodge to run one?

I have a smith diesel built trans, phat input/output and it has been awesome. love it, Just want to know what else is out there for future builds/plans and I think this could end up being very infromative. I know that my trans parts are very expensive, really wondering if all the different models need expensive shafts and stuff, also wondering if any tranmissions are just a plug and play with the pcs or do you have to modify the valve body like the dodge to run one?

Years ago, I talked to a trans builder who told me "You guys are making medium duty torque, you need medium duty transmissions." He was confident he could build a MT643 or AT740 to handle 2,000+lb ft for about $2500. About 200lb heavier, and more hp to drive, but who cares. Make hp and lose weight elsewhere. At the 1000hp level, all the OEM light truck transmissions need major help.

Are all light truck transmissions the same money to build is my question? didn't you guys put in a 4l80e in your suburban? how much was that and how much power could it handle? what would need to be done to make it live at 1000 HP?

About the two medium transmissions you mentioned I have no idea what they are. but can they be made to shift fast and when you want, probably, would they pass the rule of nhrda of an oem style transmission for SS, I dont know, but 2500 bucks may worth the 200 pound penalty compared to the cost of a truck one, I feel I was treated extremely well on the price of my transmission, but it was a good bit more than 2500 bucks.

The Powerglide and 4L80 are Chevy and will bolt up to a Duramax. The stock Duramax is Chevy bell housing

I thought I saw a mag article or something that showed a company made an adapter to bolt up a powerglide to the duramax.
If they just bolt up why are not more people running them. Again I know nothing about this subject but was under the impression that a powerglide is a great drag racing trans.

I thought I saw a mag article or something that showed a company made an adapter to bolt up a powerglide to the duramax.
If they just bolt up why are not more people running them. Again I know nothing about this subject but was under the impression that a powerglide is a great drag racing trans.

IMO, unless the vehicle is very light or very modified, a PG isn't going to work well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I've always thought it would be kind of cool to run a set of quick spooling compounds on a high-rpm (4000rpm+) engine. Then, launch in 3rd with a NV4500 and then hit a Gear Vendors. 1.16 final ratio ought to give a decent enough top end, and, no shifts!

Powerglide

Some might be amazed at how well a powerglide would work in a truck. All the stock trannies need less gear for low gear. A little load on the motor will help with building boost and load the motor down.

All I can say is I am amazed at what Steve @ Commercial powertrain has done with our 48re. It is at his shop going through it's year end complete tear down, and for the THIRD season we are putting the same clutches back in!!! Most people know we went through hell to find a converter that would hold, and a BIG thanks to Phil @ DPC for sticking with us to find that solution (we had to get rid of the phat shaft in order to get a 4 disc to get there) but we have not had a single transmission issue since Steve started building our transmission. He even taunts us to hurt it. We run TCS shafts throughout, and Steve's valve body, and other internal work, and the results speak for themselves. I know Joesixpack runs Steve's transmission in his Nira powered beast as well.

I hear he builds a mean Allison too, but don't have any first hand experience with it yet (I am getting one for my work truck this spring, albeit not in that 1000hp class.)

As far as I know for any of the 47/48's all the shafts are needed, same with the Allison and the 4R100 (ford trans) to deal with over 1000hp. I am not sure that the 5R100 is capable of over 1000hp as I am honestly not up on that Ford transmission. I have never dealt with a 4L80e or the powerglide in a diesel so I won't even attempt to comment.

I can't recall what the cost was on the full race transmission, other then the Allison was about $2000 more then the Dodge based trans iirc.

Some might be amazed at how well a powerglide would work in a truck. All the stock trannies need less gear for low gear. A little load on the motor will help with building boost and load the motor down.

Have you figured out what the slip rate is at the top of high gear? Does it lock up pretty well? I know at 500rwhp and 2800rpm, the slip rate on my VE truck was about 20 percent. At 4000-5000rpm Dave (Goerend) told me it would be roughly half that, which is pretty close to having a lock-up converter power-transfer wise. Since my truck is a VE though, I couldn't spin it up, but I always figured a non-lockup setup would work decent on an engine that had some rev-gain :Cheer:

I would rather not say.

The only reason is because everyone told me it couldn't be done without a lockup. I have been working with a company and they have it pretty good. It could always be better but everything is a trade off. I have no problems spooling and have it were I can cut a good light. I'm happy with it. I had it changed again before the NHRDA finals and I think they hit it pretty close. I will be sending it back to get a checkout but don't plan on changing it any. I just wish I would have tryed it in the white truck when I wanted to.

Back