oil bypass system fail

dangerous06

diesel tech
I've got an FS-2500 oil bypass filter that is supposed to let you run way longer on oil changes and keep the oil soot free. Well for some reason my truck kills the oil in 5k no matter what it's very sooty and the bypass is plugged solid. Anybody have this issue or even run the system? I've seen it work on a stock truck 20k no oil change and still clean! But a modified truck or just mine kills that bypass really fast!

Delo mostly or what ever is on sale! since I change every 5k it really doesn't matter does it?

Thats normal the bypass is going to help the oil live longer but when your running high boost and getting a lot of blow by the bypass is going to fill up. I found that out with my race truck I had an Amsoil bypass on it . I have an Amsoil bypass on my 93 tow rig which is pretty much stock and only running 20 some # boost and ran over 100,000 on oil changes with it.

I would use a better quality oil such as Mobile Delvac 1300 for a convential oil or some type of synthetic. But like others stated, high boost or high cylinder pressure engines will not be like a bone stock engine oil life with oil contamination of soot and fuel.

No Jory your not the only one.

Last edited:
I'm confused by your reply. What do you mean by, "Not hardly?"

I would never change oils every oil change to save a buck. :umno:

You aren't the only one with a problem with that statement. Like you said. Same oil, every oil change. Rotella T every time.

Imagine what it would be like if you didn't run the bypass. I run an Amsoil bypass and just put the largest honking filter they have on mine (holds 2 qts). I do have mine tucked under the right front fender between the inner fender well and front bumper. The plastic fender well protects it from rocks and such.

Last edited:
You aren't the only one with a problem with that statement. Like you said. Same oil, every oil change. Rotella T every time.

That's not top dollar for oil. That's almost cheap crap like delo and Travelers. All rated around 300hours with convential filtration.

That's not top dollar for oil. That's almost cheap crap like delo and Travelers. All rated around 300hours with convential filtration.

I know its not top dollar. Compared to what is put in some of our farm tractors it is.

I am running Amsoil 15W-40, Amsoil Bypass with the EaBP100 filter, and the Donaldson High Endurance oil filter (same as the Amsoil Ea080 filter)

I changed the Donaldson oil filter at 7,500 miles and sent the oil in for analysys

Blackstone told me to change the oil at thee 10,000 mile marker

So I am also not getting that many miles either, even with a bypass

Does anyone else remember the old commercial on tv where they had the old station wagon that was smoking and they said "motor oil it motor oil?" :hehe:

Soot is what kills my oil before anything else, even with a bypass.

Soot particles are less than 1um, and the FS-2500 is a 2.7x um filter, and the Amsoil is a 2um filter. Combine the size of soot particles with the modern design of oil to keep soot particles suspended and non-agglomerated, which makes filtration very difficult.

Soot is what kills my oil before anything else, even with a bypass.

Soot particles are less than 1um, and the FS-2500 is a 2.7x um filter, and the Amsoil is a 2um filter. Combine the size of soot particles with the modern design of oil to keep soot particles suspended and non-agglomerated, which makes filtration very difficult.

This is why I've always had a problem with extended oil changes, no thanks.

I've always changed my oil 3-5,000. Crap goes in oil, and I like to get it out.

This is why I've always had a problem with extended oil changes, no thanks.

I've always changed my oil 3-5,000. Crap goes in oil, and I like to get it out.

Agreed, I have recently switched from every 5K to every 3K. Small price to pay to keep my motor happy.

Yeap, I change at 5,000-6000 miles also, even with the bypass. The soot buildup before the bypass was installed was not to my liking.

Last edited:
Back