Oil filter keeps coming loose/ no or very low pressure...

csipsd

Mater, like Towmater
Ok guys... Need some help.

Coming home on friday, about a 230 mile trip, I stopped at Joe's (store- going out of busness) and when I came out there was an oil slick under my truck. I crawl under there to see what the issue was and the filter was about 3 turns loose. I tighten it up and head home woundering WTF?

Next day, differant trip, same thing, filter loose and leaking. Tighten again... One more time, then sunday I change the oil and filter thinking maybe there is something wrong with the filter...

Now............

Symptoms...

1. oil filter keeps coming loose
2. knock when under accel
3. oil pressure drops to nothing this morning...

I changed the oil and filter yesterday due to the oil filter issue, thinking maybe i just had a bad filter (weird after 2500-3000 miles it would become a problem), and did my normal start and shut down to check for leaks and level.

Left this morning at 3am and drove away, oil pressure IIRC was at about 25-30 psi (about normal for this truck) made it about 12 miles and it was knocking, scaned the gauges and noticed the oil pressure was in the 5 or less range. Pulled over and popped the hood, no leaks, oil level full and still clean. I turned around and nursed it home, anything over 1/5 throttle and the pressure would drop to nothing.

Factory gauge doing the same thing, but it reads normal until there is no pressure then drops to the low range.

Bad LPOP? But why would the filter keep working loose? That seems like a over pressure issue?

Plugged somewhere? In the oil cooler maybe?

Bad oil filter? I find that hard to believe???

Got it narrowed down to the oil cooler we think. Going to swap it out this weekend and go from there.

Back