Oil in my CAC Tubes

04fummins

Sorry for such a newb question but this is the first turbo I have ever had.

I blew one of my boost boots off and noticed there was a bit of oil in there. What could be causing this? Could that be a bad seal? Am I in need of a rebuild?
when I re-installed the boost tube, the truck ran well. I really cannot be sure it was comming from the turbo as I have an oil leak under the turbo and when the boot blew the turbo was blowing all kinds of air in the engine bay and could have blown that leaking oil into the boot. Is there any way to check this for sure. I was thinking of pulling the intake side tubes off and checking for oil there.

A small amount of oil is fairly normal but... Sometimes when you blow boots you get some oil in the tubes. It is really hard on turbo's when you blow boots at high boost(unfortunatly that's when it happens :hehe:)

Also sometimes you blow boots because of oil on the CAC pipes. Which could be due to a few things.

1. Check your air filter, make sure it's good and isn't to small.

2. Pull your intake pipe off and check the turbo play.

3. If whoever did your swap vented the crank case into the intake, get rid of it. Obviously that will put oil into the charge tubes.

Good luck.

Last edited:
A small amount of oil is fairly normal but... Sometimes when you blow boots you get some oil in the tubes. It is really hard on turbo's when you blow boots at high boost(unfortunatly that's when it happens :hehe:)

Also sometimes you blow boots because of oil on the CAC pipes. Which could be due to a few things.

1. Check your air filter, make sure it's good and isn't to small.

2. Pull your intake pipe off and check the turbo play.

3. If whoever did your swap vented the crank case into the intake, get rid of it. Obviously that will put oil into the charge tubes.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info.

My tubes are just aluminum CAC tubing that I cut to fit and joined with sillycone boots. This was one of the cut pieces and I did not have a good enough bead on it so I added a new bead and reattached it. these are temporary tubes until I get some exhaust pipe and make them solid one piece units. right after it blew I had to climb a fairly large hill (one lane no shoulder and a line of cars behind me) that could have been what caused the oil. does that seal leak when there is not enough pressure on it and if you add pressure it will stop the leak?

[ame="http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac190/Jakob1972/?action=view&current=IMG_20120901_165518.jpg"]IMG_20120901_165518.jpg picture by Jakob1972 - Photobucket[/ame]

I need to get a BHAF I am just using an AutoZone cone filter right now. that could be part of it.

I will for sure check the play in the turbo if there is any I will rebuild it seems simple enough.

Did the swap by myself, the only crank case vent is the blow by tube. I guess I should have said this is the first turbo I have ever had problems with the 6.0ls turbo never gave me any problems but the motor on the other hand.

Thanks

Back