Oil in turbo

James Stevens

Saw some oil coming out of the cold pipe that comes out of my K31 up to the S300. Took the boot off that comes out of the S300 and had lot's of oil in it. Not pools of it but the boot was wet, and the turbo fins and surrounding area were all coated too. The kit is less then 2 years old. Was thinking about upgrading turbos anyway (R700) and was reading in there instal instruction manual at the very bottom all highlighted it says "When idled for any length of time some oil may leak from the turbo.
If the performance/boost is satisfactory and the wheel is not touching the housing
(There will be some small movement), the excess oil is not a concern.
Simply wipe with a clean cotton cloth and continue use."
Why on earth is that, when idleing the oil pressure will be lower, hens less pressure on the seal?
I have been ideling the truck for about a half hour every morning while waiting for my crane to warm up, is this why they are slobering?

When idling there is no drive pressure on the back side and no boost pressure on the front side the oil is is in the middle. When theres any boost think of it as a air lock.

a restrictive air filter will also cause this by not getting enough air to the turbo creating a vacume and sucking the oil out of the seal instead of the filter.

If the oil return line is in any way restrictive it will cause oil to push into the comp. cover. how are your oil returns setup? Do you have seperate holes for each turbo?

No restriction in the return lines lextalionis, each turbo has it's own line pretty much straight down. I have been idling the truck for the past month or so, I think thats the issue as the set is less then 2 years old. Thanx for the input!

Back