Oil leak, where it may be from? its everywhere and bad.

TrailTamer

My truck is currently dismantled for a big oil leak, leaks probably 1 gallon on a 20 min drive. The oil leak can be visually running down the driver side, approximately in middle of the block.

Thus far I have the injection pump removed which really help to pin point the oil leak which I can see the tappet cover gasket seeps oil at least. Although there's lot of oil/gunk above the tappet cover. I don't know if it's possible the head gasket to leak on that side?
trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49258-image.jpg

trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49266-image.jpg

trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49274-image.jpg

trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49282-image.jpg

trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49290-image.jpg

I'm thinking about to rig up something to add air pressure to the tee (the one that feed oil to the injection pump) to see if it leak air/oil out of the pressurized side of oil passages? I can't really think how it can leak heavily when running.

Is this needed upon reassembly? What it's purpose?
trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49298-image.jpg

Also I discovered my throttle linkages which seem at some point got ghetto/hacked cobbled together. It's very sloppy and probably not good to the p-pump. What I'll need to fix this? Is the TPS needed since I did the auto to manual swap?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqI5pSLEgME"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqI5pSLEgME[/ame]

Lastly I found it interesting that the cylinder head's 'intake manifold' have spin-on filter casted right in it. I wonder what it could've be for in different application. This thing I'm talking about which can be seen in this picture.
trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49282-image.jpg

Last edited:
My guess would be head gasket unless the tappet gasket is toast hard to tell from the pics

Last edited:
Replace all seals while it is out. Head gasket is unlikely but you will learn more as gaskets are removed and replaced. Usually see coolant leaks before an oil leak on the head gasket.

Last edited:
At a gallon in 20 minutes, how could you not see where it was coming from? LOL

You could probably hook air up to the tappet cover breather hose and put light pressure into the block to look for leaks.

Last edited:
That's a pressurized leak there look at the spray exiting beneath the intake plenum. All of your pressurized oil going to the rocker arm assemblies are on that side of the block.

Bad head gasket right there. Did this motor cough at all? Reason I ask this is the tappet cover gasket has been pushed up as you can see the original gasket line in that location.

I had one like that, the infamous "12 gallon" 1993 CA truck, that I stuck a totally worn out '97 12 valve in to get home with.
It had TONS of blow by and that tappet cover was leaking very much like what's in the pics.

When we tore the engine down, we found that it wouldn't bore .040 over on the bores, it was worn that bad.

Mark.

That's a pressurized leak there look at the spray exiting beneath the intake plenum. All of your pressurized oil going to the rocker arm assemblies are on that side of the block.

Bad head gasket right there. Did this motor cough at all? Reason I ask this is the tappet cover gasket has been pushed up as you can see the original gasket line in that location.

I can see what you mean by seeing this on the injection pump
trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49314-image.jpg

Although what you mean by "cough"?

I do have blowby but I'm no expert on how much blowby that's bad or not. this motor i have have tons of power, runs great.

Last edited:
Cough like an intake explosion. I sometime see these when people attempt to get a old worn out motor going with ether. Especially in cold weather.

do you think it's even possible for the motor oil to "spray" on the injection pump through the tappet cover gasket?

Cough like an intake explosion. I sometime see these when people attempt to get a old worn out motor going with ether. Especially in cold weather.
You're right, it's probably toast.

Mark.

You're right, it's probably toast.

Mark.

AFAIK it never ever coughed as described. runs strong otherwise. Anyhow prior disassembling it the blow by looks relatively minimal, at idle. Also it puked oil out of the side of the engine as seen, not either through the blowby or burning it out.

do you think it's even possible for the motor oil to "spray" on the injection pump through the tappet cover gasket?

No because that's just return oil. You would almost have to have a couple of dead holes and the motor would to be pumping huge amounts of crank case pressure.

The spraying could just be the fan blowing **** all over. I had the rear valve cover gasket leaking bad for a while and oil was everywhere under the hood.

Why not just replace head gasket and Tappet while you have it torn down that far? They aren't that hard to do

Complete and total horse ****.
Pressurized leaks clean themselves due to the detergent in the (engine) oil.

The oil in the picture of the intake shelf is oil that is migrating slowly, not Pressurized oil.

My hunch is the tappet cover and maybe the front housing joint. Maybe exacerbated by blow by but more likely just airflow from the nose of the truck.

Last edited:
What the hell are you talking about. Detergent. What is the motor a Friggen washing machine and cleans the oil before it exits the motor.

Look at the spatter on the shelf and the pump.

In for tappet cover myself. Happened to me last year had a big leak from massive blowby due to blown out oil seals in the turbo. It sprayed down the block just like the pictures OP posted

What the hell are you talking about. Detergent. What is the motor a Friggen washing machine and cleans the oil before it exits the motor.

Look at the spatter on the shelf and the pump.

All modern CJ-4 and CI-4 oils contain a detergent or cleaning agent. What this man is saying is correct, a slow leak will be filthy because of the dirt it will attract. A pressurized leak will be clean. Figure pouring a quart of oil onto a trailer deck or something of the sort, as opposed to using a pressurized cheap harbor freight engine cleaning wand. Which is going to be cleaner?

Even if it's not a pressurized leak, the leak can be fast enough to clean itself. Everything downstream of the immediate area of the leak is going to be a freakin mess though. Makes finding leaks hard when that happens, because it looks like it's coming from EVERYWHERE. Lol

Back