Oil leak, where it may be from? its everywhere and bad.

All modern CJ-4 and CI-4 oils contain a detergent or cleaning agent. What this man is saying is correct, a slow leak will be filthy because of the dirt it will attract. A pressurized leak will be clean. Figure pouring a quart of oil onto a trailer deck or something of the sort, as opposed to using a pressurized cheap harbor freight engine cleaning wand. Which is going to be cleaner?

So what your telling me is that the motor oil in that motor is as clean as the day it came out of the bottle and as soon as it exits the motor under pressure it looks like the above?

Wow commons sense just left the building.

Even if it's not a pressurized leak, the leak can be fast enough to clean itself. Everything downstream of the immediate area of the leak is going to be a freakin mess though. Makes finding leaks hard when that happens, because it looks like it's coming from EVERYWHERE. Lol
I tried to take care of that in my wording.
Maybe a high 'flowing' leak then.

Cripes, a leak is a leak, who gives a schit what it's phucking pedigree is? *bdh*

Mark.

Damn some of you all need to get laid! There is some pent up frustration about leaky fluids:hehe:

But to clarify my head gasket comment. I meant blown to a oil passage building crank case pressure higher then what the blobby tube can handle. Also check to make sure the blow by tube isn't stopped up

Last edited:
Maxtorq, what we are all saying is the leak isn't "clean" but the surface it is flowing on will be clean because the oil is flowing enough to wish the dirt particles away when they first come in contact, or spraying that area clean in a pressure situation. Like a hydraulic hose that busts loose and pressure cleans everything in its path, makes a hell of a mess everywhere else though. Lol

The last time I had an oily mess like that under the hood of my truck was when I tried to run over 50lbs. of boost with the stock head gasket and head bolts. :hehe:

I ran ~50 psi of boost in past with stock turbo and all. No problem. Of course I put the #100 plate back in soon as I found out it can do that.

As of now I'm doing the tappet cover only for now to see if it'll fix it. If not I'll then do the HG.

Last edited:
As of now, the tappet cover gasket fixed the big oil leak.

Since I got the big mofo leak fixed, I found out that my vacuum pump leak motor oil when running. I'll get it resealed sometime soon.

I ran my fuel line through the heat exchanger to have the fuel heated prior going into the injection pump. I just did the auto to manual swap so I have the heat exchanger perfectly in the place to use. I'm not sure yet but I think it's night/day difference now. Btw I run on WMO (black diesel).

My truck is currently dismantled for a big oil leak, leaks probably 1 gallon on a 20 min drive. The oil leak can be visually running down the driver side, approximately in middle of the block.

Thus far I have the injection pump removed which really help to pin point the oil leak which I can see the tappet cover gasket seeps oil at least. Although there's lot of oil/gunk above the tappet cover. I don't know if it's possible the head gasket to leak on that side?
trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49258-image.jpg

trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49266-image.jpg

trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49274-image.jpg

trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49282-image.jpg

trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49290-image.jpg

I'm thinking about to rig up something to add air pressure to the tee (the one that feed oil to the injection pump) to see if it leak air/oil out of the pressurized side of oil passages? I can't really think how it can leak heavily when running.

Is this needed upon reassembly? What it's purpose?
trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49298-image.jpg

Also I discovered my throttle linkages which seem at some point got ghetto/hacked cobbled together. It's very sloppy and probably not good to the p-pump. What I'll need to fix this? Is the TPS needed since I did the auto to manual swap?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqI5pSLEgME

Lastly I found it interesting that the cylinder head's 'intake manifold' have spin-on filter casted right in it. I wonder what it could've be for in different application. This thing I'm talking about which can be seen in this picture.
trailtamer+xj-albums-my+dodge-picture49282-image.jpg

my first gen has the fuel filter there. A gallon in 20minutes wow I thought my gallon in 250 miles leak was bad. glad to hear tappet cover gaskets fixed most of it. as I tell people it doesn't leak it's marking it's territory. :lolly:

Back