Oil leak!

jarede1972

I just picked up a 98 2500 silverado with a 95 12 valve and nv4500 transmission, motor is all stock except for a straight pipe exhaust. Really clean swap. The guy told me he drove it once a week, didnt have time to mess with it anymore needed some tlc and had developed an oil leak. Well im seeing now that is more than a little oil leak. It is leaking on the drivers side behind the pump and is actually leaking enough that the transmission crossmember is getting oil on it when im driving it. Im going to clean and wash it to see if i can locate the source of the oil but figured id ask for some help. Any input as to where it might be coming from or common places that leak would be appreciated.

Need to pull the injection pump and replace tappet cover gasket. Pretty straight forward job.

Could also be the vac pump/PS pump seal. Once oil starts pouring out and the fan whips it around, its hard to know where it came from.

Definitely tappet cover. Bout 20 bucks or so. No big deal

Thanks for all the input im going to going to pick up some brake and parts today. Also anyone have a list of decent mods to use just to give it a bit more power. I read on a cumminstruck forum from a guy called "guru" he said big air filter, 4in exhaust, #10 fuel plate, boost elbow, overflow valve from torc tecnologies, and time it to 16-17, with a 3k governor spring? any dos and donts would be greatly appreciated. It all sounded good to me, something to wake it up but not be too crazy just yet.

Sounds like a good starting point. Would only use #10 plate with manual tranny.

You're gonna have your pump off so get a rack plug for it

if you just want a little bit for now just do the GSK, AFC mods, timing, rack plug, and move the plate. no need to spend a bunch of money just for a little bit more power.

i would suggest the 4k of the 3k. plenty can be made with these without costing much

thanks guys, yes it is a manual. if i were to go with the 4k spring would i need to retorque the head bolts to 125? read somewhere that it was recommended, but didnt know for sure.

I would anyway with the timing bump. Also don't forget upgraded valve springs while your in there

If you change valve springs, don't waste your money on the 60# springs. Install some good retainers and locks too.

Whenever you get that oil leak fixed let us know, I have what seems to be the exact leak on the 96 I just picked up.

if you just want a little bit for now just do the GSK, AFC mods, timing, rack plug, and move the plate. no need to spend a bunch of money just for a little bit more power.

i would suggest the 4k of the 3k. plenty can be made with these without costing much

This.

ok, will do i have a local engine parts warehouse that im going to try to get the tappet gasket from next week, this weekend im going to try to locate the leak without removing anything, clean it up real good and watch, then try to get all the gaskets and seals i need (if necessary). and also going to get the spring kit, and stuff prior to tearing everything apart. Anybody have a specific place that they get the best deals on all the "go fast" parts?

Go to a parts house and get some foaming engine degreaser then get it up to operating temperature and spray it on. It may take two cans but it works great!

Check the plastic plug behind pump gear housing that's used to set tdc.

Back