oil usage

WUnderwood

My 12 valve is burning oil at a pretty fair amount, and I can't seem to pinpoint my problem. Motor was rebuilt around 10,000 miles ago, with new bearings and piston rings. Turbo is tight, and motor does not have a lot of blow by. I can barely see a light blue haze out of my rearview mirror. I check my oil level weekly, and I would say that I drive more than the average person per week. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Were valve seals replaced at rebuild? What style seals were used if replaced? Id pulled the covers and inspect for an out of place seal if non top hat designed were used. If you suspect a certain cylinder you can drop the exhaust manifold off to look for signs of leaking there.

how much is it using wil? if its vavle seals you will see blue when you start it. if its turbo the first take off will have blue smoke.

I'm pretty sure the guy that built the motor knows what he is doing. I'll check the valve seals, and maybe one is out of whack. The truck does burn quite a bit of oil, when I get on it, I have a black/blue puff of smoke.

a new HX40. Not sure if its Chinese junk or not, there wasn't a tag on the compressor housing. I am going to start looking for a replacement turbo.

I was thinking ball bearing/over oiled..
Just have to separate housings from turbo to check it out.. 15 minutes doesn't hurt to rule it out..

Sounds like the oil seals in the center section of the charger on the turbine side are leaking. Causing the puff of blue/black smoke. I've had the exact same problem a few times.

When I had two or three seals come up off the valve guide the haze was very very thick and actually a gray ish color shockingly enough. Replaced them with the top hat style my guides were machined for and no more gray haze.

I was/am having a similar problem, burning oil and I kept popping my CAC tubes off. looked inside and there is lots of oil in the tubes. I just recieved my turbo rebuild kit friday. I will rebuild it flush the intercooler and tubing and see if that helps things out. I drive way less than the average driver. about 15-20 miles a week, till I get all the bugs worked out at least.

a new HX40. Not sure if its Chinese junk or not, there wasn't a tag on the compressor housing. I am going to start looking for a replacement turbo.

Mr Underwood..

surprises me that you would use chinese junk... when the 400 on my old truck let go.. it was doing the exact same thing your truck is doing.. bearings were shot and being overoiled.. blue smoke and all that stinks like rotella...

Back