Ok guys help me out here

zukgod1

Old fart
Ok so I'm wanting to swap back in my 3.55 gears and put my 38's back on for economy.

My problem is with my converter.

Currently I have a really low stall, like 1600 (1200 real world).

I'm going to install a triple disk and sell the single I have so I can get a higher stall. Like 2200 / 1760 real world.

What I need is a higher stall so my turbo will lite off. It wont lite till at least 1700 so 1200 is worthless to me.

Will this converter live in this configuration?
I don't race this thing I commute 124 miles a day round trip all freeway but when I do hook up the Jeep and head for the hills if I'm on any kind of incline from a stop I have to put it in low range to get past the hill than I'm ok. Sits there smoking like a freight train.

So my options are;
keep the 4.10's and put the 38's back on with the triple.
Re install the 3.55's with the 38's w/ triple.

Just rambling now.

dan

RacinDuallie said:
I say keep the 4.10's, install the 38's and add in the triple disc

That's what I was thinking but I'm concerned about economy.

I'm guessing that as soon as the 38's are worn out I'll be droping to at least a 36 or maybe even a 35 so that concerns me as far as switching back to the 4.10's. Make sense?

dan

If you plan on going withthe 35's, the 3.55 is plenty of gear. How fast do you drive?

Timbeaux38 said:
If you plan on going withthe 35's, the 3.55 is plenty of gear. How fast do you drive?

I usually run the freeway around 75-80 max, most times I'm at 70.

I love to go 100 but that gets REALLY expensive in many ways.

dan

Last edited:
You will be okay with 4.10's then. They dont much care for 95+ though

Timbeaux38 said:
You will be okay with 4.10's then. They dont much care for 95+ though

just Ok with the 4.10's or better with the 3.55's?

It' wont cost me a dime to put the 3.55's back in and I can sell the 4.10's I'm sure.
Someone on this board will want a set of 4.10's I'll bet.

dan

Last edited:
Depends on your pefrence really. I am worried more about your setup than anything. Have you had that truck on the rollers? You either Need more Fuel or less air.

Timbeaux38 said:
Depends on your pefrence really. I am worried more about your setup than anything. Have you had that truck on the rollers? You either Need more Fuel or less air.

Nope not had it on the rollers yet.

What do you mean by more fuel or less air?

Either one would cause more heat no?

dan

Well, yeah, I 'd just think that more fuel would help your spooling. I'm curious to see what kind of dyno #'s you are having so I can compare with folks with a similar setup. How are your EGT's?

With 38's and 3.55 rear end you will be super tall geared. I like that, I envy that kind of gearing

Damn Tim, I have 125hp sticks and a Drag comp dont know if I dare throw any more fuel in there.
Egt's are fine durring normal driving, toss a trailer in the mix and I had better have the box on 1.

That HTB2 just doesnt spool till 16-1700 or so.
I havent even looked into a dyno run, I think Gillett here in SLC has one not sure though.

dan

I called and Gilette does have one.
See I just have a hard time paying someone $75.00 to drive my truck...

dan

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you need an 89% converter. yours is too tight for your huffer.

Have you considered a different turbo? Honestly, your injectors aren't all that big, if your having EGT or spooling issues I would look in that direction before I looked at tire / gearing changes, unless you just WANT to change them.

I had an HTB2, with DD3's installed at the time, and the truck had EGT issues, spooling issues, it was difficult to control the smoke, and you could forget about pulling a load ( I was towing 8K) up any significant hill at speed. Althought they seem to be nice in a twin turbo configuration, In my opinion there not good in a single turbo application. Once I got rid of mine, I had no issues, with smoke, spool, towing, or EGT's. I daily drive Mach 6's now and you would never know they were in there, at least until I showed you :)

Timbeaux38 said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you need an 89% converter. yours is too tight for your huffer.

That's it right there, converter is WAY to tight. End of story.

Damn now I'm right back in the converter search again.
Why is it there are so many different converter builders and they all have the "best" converter for my application?

I really like the DTT but with the valve body it's over $1400 thats allot of money for a poor boy like me.

dan

ob1kobi said:
Have you considered a different turbo? Honestly, your injectors aren't all that big, if your having EGT or spooling issues I would look in that direction before I looked at tire / gearing changes, unless you just WANT to change them.

I had an HTB2, with DD3's installed at the time, and the truck had EGT issues, spooling issues, it was difficult to control the smoke, and you could forget about pulling a load ( I was towing 8K) up any significant hill at speed. Althought they seem to be nice in a twin turbo configuration, In my opinion there not good in a single turbo application. Once I got rid of mine, I had no issues, with smoke, spool, towing, or EGT's. I daily drive Mach 6's now and you would never know they were in there, at least until I showed you :)

What rurbo would you recomend? I dont care if I have a 62/12 or a 66/14 with the converter I have it wont spool.
I have been down the turbo road till I was sick of it kinda like the trans/converter deal.
If I switch to a 64/12 or a 64/14 I'll be moving less air while towing @ freeway speeds resulting in higher EGT's.

Am I missing something?
dan

Just get some Mach 6's and be done with it...that should solve your Problem

well I had both a 93 converter and an 89 converter in mine, and the HTB2 didn't drive very well with either one of them. I am not sure what housing I had though, I'll see if I have it written down at home tonight.

I have a Phat Shaft now,and the Silver Bullets are pretty nice too.

Just giving you my opinion form my past experience with an HTB2 is all.

I don't think DTT sells there converters in 89, 91, 93 ratings anymore either, I think they are all custom configurations that are suited for your needs, but I'll have to verify that with Scott.

Back