Okay need help

KCCTD

Truck is 2006 42k miles
Troubles
1)once in a while ever so slight miss when cold, very very rare when hot
2)Sounds like valve lash issue (ticking)
3)Have faint hollow sound all the time
4)Runs great (this is not a trouble :hehe: )

I have been reviewing threads and heres what I have come up with.

1)Pull rocker arms and put level across valves to check valve seat issues.
2)Check for bent push rods
3)If 1 or 2 does not pan out send injectors back to Don for checking

So what I need is advice on anything else to check and/or if this is the correct way to go about finding this issue? Also if anyone else had issues what fixed it (might save me time and more important MONEY)
Thanks in advance....

1) Not sure about the miss...Does it white smoke and sputter when first cranked??
2) More than likely it's the CP3 gear lash noise your hearing...If so, not going to cause trouble..Just annoying!!! Just check / Re-set lash to make sure!!
3)Hollow sound coming from the air filter area???? Mine does that.....
4) I had a totally melted #4 piston but it still ran great when hot and dyno'd 584HP on Dunbars with it melted (Old set up - Before new build).

If in doubt and you have a spare ride, It's always a piece of mind to have the injectors checked....Do you use a pressure box?? How often???

Pressure is not good all the time...Keep it turned down or off unless racing..

1) Not sure about the miss...Does it white smoke and sputter when first cranked??
2) More than likely it's the CP3 gear lash noise your hearing...If so, not going to cause trouble..Just annoying!!! Just check / Re-set lash to make sure!!
3)Hollow sound coming from the air filter area???? Mine does that.....
4) I had a totally melted #4 piston but it still ran great when hot and dyno'd 584HP on Dunbars with it melted (Old set up - Before new build).

If in doubt and you have a spare ride, It's always a piece of mind to have the injectors checked....Do you use a pressure box?? How often???

Pressure is not good all the time...Keep it turned down or off unless racing..

1) No white smoke and does not sputter
1.5)that little miss is what is concerning me the most
3)hollow sound is more of a hollow knocking sound
Thanks for the help

1) No white smoke and does not sputter
1.5)that little miss is what is concerning me the most
3)hollow sound is more of a hollow knocking sound
Thanks for the help

No white smoke and no sputtering on start up is a good thing.....I don't think you melted a piston yet...

Check your Valve lash to rull that out....

That knocking could still be the gear lash from the cp3.....Some believe that you can clock the cp3 gear to get it to go away..30* at a time untill it goes away...but it sure is a lot of work for just a sound that causes no harm...I left mine alone!!

If lash is good and it's running ok....I'd say just keep driving it and see if that "mis" gets any worse....

Do you have a FASS or Air Dog?? If not, your gonna need one for future mods anyway...Get one and just bypass the stock filter assembly...That'll rule out the stock filter and lines....

If you wanted to spend some time, you could re-tighten all of the cross over tubes, collars, and fuel lines to make sure there nothing there ....

About all I can think of right now....I'm on duty and inbetween calls...I'll think of more later...

OH, do you have your rail capped?? You could check the Relief Valve or cap it to rule that out...

mine has a slight miss at start up in the morning. like it runs about 5-10 seconds then slight hickup then fine. also it gets a slight rough idle spontaniously . ya'll say valve lash can cause this?

chris

mine has a slight miss at start up in the morning. like it runs about 5-10 seconds then slight hickup then fine. also it gets a slight rough idle spontaniously . ya'll say valve lash can cause this?

chris

Not sure that lash would cause the hickup and sporatic idle....Once lash is set it should stay that way....

Same could apply to you about checking for loose Crosstubes, Collars, & fuel lines....

Make sure fuel filter is clean and LP is good....

when in doubt...Have Don at F1 Diesel check out your injectors...Upgrade too!!!

Back