Old article, but useful for comparison 6.5td

Jesus ****ing Christ..........
That helps everything...

ITS A TURD. Here's an idea.......if the owner only wants a 237hp diesel pick-up what are the chances of them knowing how to rebuild the damn engine?
So the farmers you know don't work on thier own stuff? I'm a farmer, and most of the farmers around here rebuild their own junk. When your tractor/baler/rake/drier/etc. breaks down, you don't call someone to fix it, you do it yourself.

How about what are they gonna do with the down time?

Then you have done all that work so you can just hang with a STOCK cummins/stroker? Sounds pretty frivolous to me. All that for an engine that may or may not crack the heads, or just randomly spit the damn crank out.

You wanna know people are told to get a cummins or swap it? BECAUSE ITS A COMPETITION SITE! And guess what wins???? Last I seen a 6.5 wasn't a winner, its a towel boy.

Because the mechanical 12 valves were 180 hp. How many of those have you rebuilt? I'd guess a couple.

Lets see, I have had two 160hp engines, one that melted a piston and one that broke a valve spring. Both of those can, will, and do happen to any diesel engine.

Oh wait, I have another 175hp from an F700. It was beaten to death every day of its damn life, guess what.....it needs rocker cover gaskets. I'm sure being at WOT most of its life in a 25k truck was easy since it was designed to WORK.

Re-read the article. It did more than hang with one.

I read the article 5 years ago, seen the pics too. And what I remember seeing and reading, they built a 300hp rated engine...they threw it up against 235hp and 255hp trucks. Amazing that won aint it....

They don't randomly spit the crank out. That's a bit of a stretch.

Yes, they do. The KDP was an oversight on cummins part. And everyone knows how easy that is to prevent. You cant prevent a poorly engineered (or is cheaply the word I want?) block from busting the webbing out of the bulkheads.

So if you were wanting a everyday driver or a light duty work truck you would walk away from a nice 6.5 truck to pay more for a rotted out 12valve truck? All because it has the potential for more power?

I would not buy a mint condition 6.5 for $500. Yes I will pay alot more for a 12vavle. I've seen them go 900k in a dodge. Seems like a good investment.

So the farmers you know don't work on thier own stuff? I'm a farmer, and most of the farmers around here rebuild their own junk. When your tractor/baler/rake/drier/etc. breaks down, you don't call someone to fix it, you do it yourself.

I know plenty of farmers that can patch stuff, patch, not fix. I know very few that can and will rebuild a performance engine. You say "more power" they say "I need it to run, not hot rod".

Here is the issue. There is a flathead then there is a 331 hemi. Ask on yellow bullet which one will make more power....

I own a 97 2 door Tahoe with the 6.5 Turbo diesel and I enjoy owning it. It has over 340 thousand miles on it and the trouble I have had has been the 4LE80 Trans., transfer cases and the rear ends. However the engine has not been touched.

I do not need your endorsement to enjoy my TURD and god awful diesel. I have owned the other brands and I prefer the 2 door Tahoe with the 6.5.

Now that being said, why do you feel the need to come to the 6.2/6.5 GM diesel forum and low rate the engines? I mean you don't see us over there showing disrespect for the brands you enjoy.:doh:

Just bought a '94 GMC 6.5 cclb with 320k on it. Bought it with a broken crank, I have the maintanance records since it was new and the engine has never been apart, injectors have been replaced.

I bought it because of threads like this, Because I love to argue, lol. Because every armchair mechanic that put a tuner on their cr dodge likes to tell me what a pile these things are. I've had a couple and have absolutely beat the snot out of them. Plus, 88-98 GM are the best looking trucks out there, its a fact!

PS - High toned sub - love the article man, its nice to know not everyone follows the crowd

10,000 pounds is nothing.

I've been around a lot of 6.5's, and they are good farm trucks. So is any other diesel.

128811089058828621.jpg

Don't forget the weight.

Something I see seldom mentioned about the 6.2 and 6.5 is that all of its competition at the time were so heavy they were limited to 3/4 ton and up trucks. Look at the original applications for the 6.9 / 7.3 Navistar and the 5.9 Cummings. They were school buses and Medium Duty trucks up to about 25K gross. GM put 6.2/6.5's in tons of 1/2 tons including the 5 lug Suburban in the driveway that has a 6.2. The 6.2 /6.5 's were the size and weight of a big block Chevy and as such could go under any hood that a BBC would fit. With their high compression and pre chamber design, they were set up for fuel mileage. They have been stuffed into many Toyota Land Cruzers Land rovers and such all around the world. They are popular because of their light weight, low cost, simplicity and fuel mileage. I have even seen a pic of one in a Jag. And still we have no 1/2 ton and SUV diesel engine from anyone. Since the Duramax now all of the truck diesels are in 3/4 and up pickups and chassis only. And I noticed Navistar is selling the 6.4 in motor home chassis I guess to unload the inventory Ford refused to buy. How great would it have been if GM would have kept the 6.5 in say a 5.7 L 25 mpg fuel squeezer version in 1/2 ton SUV's and 1/2 ton P/U's, they would have sold a ton of them.

Back