Older magnums

Durallymax

Anybody else notice that the older magnums always came out with more power from the factory than they were rated for???

Im talking the 71,72 and 89 series.

Anybody else notice that the older magnums always came out with more power from the factory than they were rated for???

Im talking the 71,72 and 89 series.

Yep, never fails that you will see them that way... Seems that way with the 50 and 55 series Deeres too. Had one 7140 on the dyno that laid down a little over 250 (rated 195) and all the wires were still factory sealed on the pump.

yea that's common all of our 40 and 50 deere's are well over and the 7140 and 7250 magnum's are way over the ratings.

7240 Magnum FWA I used ro run did over 250 on the dyno... IH dealer wanted to turn it down.... we said uhhhhh NO!

7240 Magnum FWA I used ro run did over 250 on the dyno... IH dealer wanted to turn it down.... we said uhhhhh NO!

:hehe:LOL That's kinda funny, the Deere dealer my dad used to work for would bring tractors in and put them on the dyno for potential buyers. If the guy didn't seem to be impressed with the numbers the dyno was giving him realtime the sales manager would kind of lean on the torque bar and fudge the numbers...

Our 7110 is rated at 135 I believe and dynos around 150.

But Our 8940 came out of the box at 260, I believe its rated around 200 or something like that. we tweaked it a little further to 290.

My buddies 7140 came out at 310hp. Thats gettin up there.

A few old farmers told me it was so that Case IH could really try to boost sales after IH was shut down. I guess they really wanted the magnums to take over the market and they succeded.

While I love sitting in our new MXs, our 8940 is still my favorite tractor.

I am a Deere man but i gotta admit those older magnums are a brute of a tractor I will gladly run one of them any day.

I am a Deere man but i gotta admit those older magnums are a brute of a tractor I will gladly run one of them any day.

At least you're honest... To be perfectly honest myself I wouldn't mind having a 4320 if I were to ever have a Deere.

I'm a deere man myself but if I can't have a deere i would have a red one. A real good friend of mine has a 7220 with around 7k hours on it. Hey also has a new 190 or 195 puma series ( can't remember the numbers) both tractors set up the same way except for the 72 havin a losder on it. 4wd and duals. That 7220 will walk all over that new tractor and they are both suppose to be rated at 200hp. Don't know though the 7220 has never been on a dyno to my knowledge. But the 7220 won't hang with the MX285. That MX is a nice tractor to run all day in the field.

Mx 285 has a lot more power than that 7220. plus that 7220 weighs nothing compared to the MX285.

The Puma is a midsize row crop tractor, the magnum is a large row crop tractor.

However I will admit the puma sucks. We have a 210 and the 40hp boost is nice but it still rides like crap.

I didn't know if the puma series was suppose to be a newer version of the smaller magnums or what. That puma was suppose to be a tractor to use to free up the 285 for use with the grain buggy and diskin and such. But I have only gotten to run the puma one day when we were cuttin wheat. I pulled the buggy with it. Granted it doesn't have any weights (why he didn't order them I don't know). It jus didn't work out the way it was suppose to. The 7220 gets used more now than the new one. lol

The puma is the replacement for the larger Maxxums. There is a new line of small magnums coming out. they look like a short magnum with a puma hood.

Even the MX magnums put out more that what they are rated at. I work at a Case IH dealer and we had a mx240 on the dyno and it was putting down 256 PTOhp and they are rated at 205 PTOhp.

Even the MX magnums put out more that what they are rated at. I work at a Case IH dealer and we had a mx240 on the dyno and it was putting down 256 PTOhp and they are rated at 205 PTOhp.

I find that one a little tough to believe...that's a 20% difference. Considering Nebraska Test's MAX engine power was 235 PTO HP, and the engine probably wasn't even supposed to be making 250hp at the crank, I find it hard to believe that it hadn't been tampered with.

Don't take this the wrong way...I've seen the older Magnums make some pretty good power when I've dynoed them, but anything with an MX in the model hasn't had what the older one's did. They always seem to be within about 5-8% of what they're supposed to be, right inline with manufacturers specs.

Also, if a dyno is out of calibration, or isn't setup right for the RPM range it's being pulled for, that can make a big difference in the reading. I've seen ours be out as much as 10% after only 1 year, which is why we have ours calibrated every year!

If it was though, you had a good one...
Chris

The tag on the engine says 246 hp. We ran the numbers and come to find out the ECM was actualley for a STX 275 four wheeler. We left it that way. It was a factory screw up. On our farm we had a IH 5288 MFD that dynoed at 210hp. The guy we bought it off of had tuned the pump and put a hx40 turbo on it. I wish we still had that tractor, it was a work horse. Sold it because it didn't turn short enough. We now have a 8920 MFD and a MX 255.

Also, if a dyno is out of calibration, or isn't setup right for the RPM range it's being pulled for, that can make a big difference in the reading. I've seen ours be out as much as 10% after only 1 year, which is why we have ours calibrated every year!

If it was though, you had a good one...
Chris

:thankyou2: Nothing better than a good honest dyno and someone who knows how to run it :Cheer:

Back