One for the thinkers!

dangerous06

diesel tech
I got a broken off oil dipstick tube stuck in the block. I've tried a small chisel nothing to grab. I've used a easy out and got it to turn but I bet I expanded it. I tried vise grips on the extractor but the hammer just nocks it off. So my question is how the hell do I get it out? Thought about drilling it but don't want the metal in the pan and the cooler is in the way. What about a torch get it red hot and pry it out? I'm open to suggestions!!

Small drill bit close to center then a small tap is how I've extracted them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**** I read it as dipstick broken off. Tap it and use a bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drive it into the oil pan. Use a bendable magnet to fish it out through the drain hole

Had that happen to me, I just kept working the easy out, it finally grab and it came out.

Drive it into the oil pan. Use a bendable magnet to fish it out through the drain hole

I like this idea! wouldn't hurt anything to just leave it in there! Magnet on the drain plug will catch it eventually!

never know whether to take your threads seriously or not...

never know whether to take your threads seriously or not...

write one funny post :hehe:
But yeah this is a problem always better to have a couple brilliant minds work on a problem! Thinking outside the box when conventional doesn't work!

take a butterfly anchor for drywall and thread it onto some rod, slide it down the tube to open up, use washers/nuts or a socket to make a slide hammer on the rod, and tap it back out. CHEAP WAY

best way, borrow a expansion dowel for a slide hammer, and use that. its a shaft with a small ball on the end that is split, a second taper shaft goes down the middle. you slide the outer shaft in, install the inner shaft to expand ball and bit it, then you slide hammer it out. Snap-On/Mac makes then. but i bet other companies do as well.

I would keep trying with easy out, turn backward and put more
pressure on one side as you try bringing up.

How much is left? Can you grind down some 1/4 or 3/8" rod (can't remember which fits) just so there's a ledge (almost an offset) at the end so you can push it in there, catch the backside with the ledge and slide hammer it out?

I got it! It was a lot thinner than I thought! I used a punch to push it thru cleaned up the burs from the easy out and done!

I got it! It was a lot thinner than I thought! I used a punch to push it thru cleaned up the burs from the easy out and done!

Alternatively, we've gotten these out at my last job by threading threaded rod into them, then making a slide hammer with a nut and a puck of steel!

Back