Oops...hurt the trans

SHughes

Too much is never enough!
So as i head back home form the drag strip (spectating only) my 10 year old daughter asks if the truck can do a burnout like the race cars. Well i'm not about to let an opportunity to do a nasty burnout go by!!

After I get it hauled back down from 120+ stupid speedometer doesn't go any higher of course. LOL

At first I was worried I lost all forward gears...at 60 MPH there was ZERO response to a change in RPM. As i slowed further I got SOME response.

I had to drive it at 30 MPH and 3000 RPM to get to a stopping place. I couldn't stop long and I made two stops on the way home, about 6-7 miles. It goes from 0-50 in only one gear without shifting at all and that gear seems to be third.

So I'm pretty sure the trans is thoroughly F'd!! :doh: Unfortunately I HAVE to drive it on Monday, where it will then sit for about two months. Then i can see just how bad. In the morning though, I will check the fluid for burnt color and odor, but there isn't much else I can do until June.

I'll mostly likely pull it out and take it straight to Goerend (5.5 hours from me), it's one of his, with about 5 years and 80k VERY hard miles at on it with power ranging from 500-800 HP and a bit of light towing. So it's lived a bit longer than most. I guess this will use up the budget for some other things I was hoping to do.

My wife is going to kill me!!!!

Ummm no, not so much. LOL Guess I'll have to drive the Chevelle all summer though. :)

Oh darn. It sucks driving a beautiful car and fighting women off with a stick.

Not that I know what thats like.

It could easily just be in limp mode caused by a faulty gov pressure solenoid or gov pressure sensor (transducer). Start the truck in neutral and quickly yank the gear selector from N to 1, if it takes off in 1st, you should be able to manually shift it up to 3rd with no od/Lu. If that's the case and u need to drive it, you'll have to put it up into neutral then quickly back into manual 1 for it to start in first.

Lavon

They had that on 12v's? Not sure if Scott has a 47 rh or re but I think it's a re.

It's an RE. I thought limp mode gave you 2nd and 3rd. I'll the neutral drops though. LOL

And the fluid is burnt...little bit darker than it should be.

I agree, sounds like limp mode. High RPM from a burnout can make a ton of line pressure in a hurry and put it into limp mode.

I doesn't sound like a toasted transmission to me, disconnect the batteries and turn on the running lights for a couple minutes to get everything drained for a good hard restart of the electrical system, then reconnect everything. If it's still in limp mode, might need a new governor solenoid and transducer because the high pressure from the burnout could have flooded out one of them.

I agree, sounds like limp mode. High RPM from a burnout can make a ton of line pressure in a hurry and put it into limp mode.

I doesn't sound like a toasted transmission to me, disconnect the batteries and turn on the running lights for a couple minutes to get everything drained for a good hard restart of the electrical system, then reconnect everything. If it's still in limp mode, might need a new governor solenoid and transducer because the high pressure from the burnout could have flooded out one of them.

I agree with this, mine did this, but I had to disconnect convertor lockup switch to keep it from happening again until I could replace them...

so I disconnected the batteries, let it sit all of Saturday (had too many other things to do to worry about it) Then got in it this morning to see where it's at.

No reverse. Reverse and neutral seem like the parking pawl is still engaged. It will move forward, but I don't have much room before hitting a trailer. LOL

My driveway it on little bit of an incline, usually I coast back out of it into the street...with the truck in R or N I can't even push it backwards, again it feels up against the parking pawl.

AND...I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO drive this thing to work tomorrow. Now to figure out how to get it out of the driveway. FML

Mine did the same exact thing when I took it to the track and had too much fun. When I got back home, the truck sounded a bit weird and I noticed I had a 3-4% load on the engine and my trucks EGTs wouldn't drop. The truck was in park but sounded like it was in 1st gear. I also have a inclined driveway and like you, I didnt have reverse or neutral, actually, when I would put mine in neutral on my inclined driveway, it would roll FORWARD. Have you tried giving it a bit of gas in neutral? Mine would drive like it was in 1st gear when I put it in neutral. I never got reverse or neutral back until several days later, then i lost pretty much all my forward gears, the truck wouldn't go over 15 mph, and the thing too forever to get it going from a stand still. My fluid was burnt too, I ended up ordering a Garmon Transmission and hopefully will get my truck back from the tranny shop soon, 1 month later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back