Opinions on clutches and the nv4500

Penni

im considering the infamous swap from 47re to a nv4500 and i want some opinions on what clutches will hold like a south bend compared to the valiar clutches (which are much cheaper) etc.... I make about 500 horse at the crank so i need one that will hold that much and possibly a little more given some more mods later on down the road... a Friend of mine says that i will tear the splines off the input shaft with the power i make and i dont think i will (thoughts?)....

i have looked at many old threads but nobody really says anything about how good or strong different clutches or if they have good/bad luck with one or the other...

and also the 5-speed im looking to put in is a re-man coming from a shop in memphis "high-gear" has anyone dealt with these guys? good/bad??

Im a college student and i need to save as much as possible but i also understand that i cant take too much of the cheap route, so any opinions on the tranny or clutch options will be greatly appreciated!!

keep the RE.....as for your friend.....he's a dumbass.....my truck has done 40psi boosted launches and my splines are still intact and my trans works fine. as for a clutch, i run nothing but southbend, not to say valair isn't good, i've just had such good luck with SB i see no point in switching. for 500HP you'd be great with a 3250 dual disc

My opinion...keep the 47re.
i would but here is my problem, the tranny is currently shot, and i have gone through 3 of them in under a years time... maybe i am just having bad luck? but i need to stop going through them so much i dontpull a sled just trailers etc... im considering the manual swap just for the more reliability aspect...

or you could build the auto with GOOD components and be done with it

For what you would spend in swapping to a nv4500 and buying a decent clutch, you could build your re to handle 500 hp no problem.

For what you would spend in swapping to a nv4500 and buying a decent clutch, you could build your re to handle 500 hp no problem.
i have looked into prices to do a full swap, including a new (re-man) nv4500 and a clutch with all the hardware (hydros, pedals, etc...) and it will run me about 2500-2700. Do you think i can get an solid auto built for that price?

Ok, with that in mind... Im located in southern missouri, any thoughts on where to go to get my tranny rebuilt that will hold what i got for under/around 2500? and with that price is that with a good torque converter as well??

And i do apologize for all the replies, my truck is currently just sitting and i have no transportation so i need to get it on the road ASAP!

i had a s.b. con-fe and now a valair ceramic-kevlar. they are bolth great clutches and never tried to slip. i'm around 400ish hp and on 38's with 3.54 gears

i dont think youll hear one clutch is better than the other. from what i can tell both are top notch clutches. i have only run valair and have had good luck with them no complaints whatsoever. My next clutch is going to be a valair 3250 DD. i am curently slipping my vailair single 13"under hard 5th gear pulls but its only rated for 350 hp and i am well over 350 so i cant complain about that.

valair ceramic single disc i had held power great.with that much power and towing trailers go with dd

keep the auto, stop listening to your friend.....500horsepower right? What turbo you runnin?

Who told u the splines will spin off? Like I said before id just build the auto. Or if u want a stick bad enough go with the nv4500 and south bend dual disc and get the upgrade input shaft just incase and hydros. Cause we both know when the beers gets flowin u will end up hookin to sled. Or tuggin somebody

Just installed a valair dd, other than making a little more noise than the dual mass set up, its an awesome clutch so far

Just installed a valair dd, other than making a little more noise than the dual mass set up, its an awesome clutch so far

Does it have poly bushings between the floater plate and the flywheel? My new SBC has that, it is dead silent. Nice change from the older 3250 I had, and the 3600 I still have in the dually.

Back