output help

jackblack99

soo... got the OD housing off and took the cluthes out.. then the 2 snap rings.. and now i cant get the drum out.. it spins just fine.. just wont come out. is there something im missing?? needing the help of someone who has changed the output on a 47RH before. thanks. if need be shoot me a text or give me a call if it would be easier to explain. 765 635 3942

havin another problem. got the output in the OD housing.. went to put it back in.. spun the output to line up the splines with the intermediate.. lined up and slid together.. here's where the problem is. after that the OD housing will slide all the way up to the housing and stop bout a half inch from the transmission. tried wiggling it, twisting it, wobbling it. took it back out and tried again.. nothing. wont go. is there something special im missing? it was a little bit of a bear to get out but it came apart easier than this.

Your fighting the park rod, put the tranny in park I think, and it will go eventually. Make sure the park brake dog is lined up with a open spot or maybe try turning the output, I can't remember exactly now. Point being is the dog won't move its hitting one of the park splines, and it has to move for the park rod to engage it all the way. Look at it, you'll figure it out.

Last edited:
im stupid!! i was telling myself that when i was putting the OD clutches in and totally spaced it.. i bet thats it.. the rod wont go in cause its between teeth.. haha. thanks!

Just to check, you did have the clutches lined up with a intermediate shaft when you reassembled the OD unit?

no. how would i line them up with the intermediate shaft? the clutches have the teeth on the inside that go over the drum and the steels have the teeth on the outside that line up with the grooves in the OD housing

When you assemble the OD unit they put a clutch alignment tool (old broken intermediate shaft) in to line up the splines of the frictions before pressing the spring in and installing the snap ring. I have also see guys assemble everything then take a old intermediate shaft with a socket welded on and put it on a impact forcing the clutches to spin and line up as they drive it in.

Back