Overdrive housing cracked, setting end play on new one

Jballou

FNG
Looking for real world experience on putting a new overdrive housing with old guts together. The truck in question cracked the housing for the third time. We are the new owners and solving the issue for good.

Housing is pulled, and endplay measured off the old one. Now the new one has .05 tighter endplay in the OD clutch pack. So what that tells me is that the new housing is .05 shorter. Do I have to compensate with a thinner spacer for the clutch hub thrust bearing,and the intermediate shaft selective spacer that goes on the intermediate shaft?

The ATSG manual shows what thrust plate thickness chart to use. But this is with a rebuild, we are just recasing it.

There is also a wave snap ring that is with the old set up, the manual specifically says to not use it. But the trans worked fine with it, don't really want to not put it back in since it was there before. The snap ring is between the stepped backing plate that holds up the 6 clutches and the flat snap ring.

Experiences and advice is much appreciated before I go hunting for thinner spacers.

Usually the waved snap ring is left out to add more clutches, it's not going to hurt if u leave it out just a firmer shift. I would check end play since you have it out. What is O/D clearance? Do u have the tool to check end play and how are you figuring O/D clearance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main body of the trans is still in the truck, the trans was rebuild no tot long ago, and the clutches look brand new.

OD clearance that I am measuring is a straight edge across the housing, and a digital caliper down to the overdrive clutch hub. This is the way that it is shown in the ATSG book. There is a torrington bearing that rides on this surface, and then a spacer to the overdrive piston.

Thanks for the info on the waved snap ring, it will be put back in, just curious as to why it is different than the book, and on a diesel.

There is a special tool for setting up the endplay measurement.....the measurement that you are talking about if for the piston spacer thickness.

that is correct, I visited a local shop, discussed the question, and got a thinner spacer by the smaller measurement.

Glad u got it figured out, I think the back of the atsg book also tells the tool specs for checking the intermediate spacer. I had a local machine shop make me one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They said that the spacer on the intermediate shaft helps with total end play and is rarely adjusted in these cases. He also said they always aet up the spacer for the od piston like I did. So I feel confident that I got it close enough. And basic mechanical instinct with some fancy measuring confirmed it.

Back