Overheating, cooling question

12vdiesel

When i bought the truck the coolant temp. gauge would fluctuate between 140 and 205ish never would settle down. Two weeks after owning it i popped the head gasket and it put oil in the cooling system.. replaced head gasket, put a new head on with studs and thermostat and flushed the cooling system with water the best i could. And then 3 weeks later i blowed thar head gasket. So before i pulled the head i used 2 gallons of cummins cooling system cleaner 6 flushes and 7 hours later it was clean. Still had a little oil left in radaitor replaced headgasket and done 2 retorques this time. everything has been dandy for about a month gauge still fluctuates. But from 155ish to 185ish. Then yesterday on the way home it tried to overheat 210ish so i killed it and pulled over couple seconds later turned key back on and it was at 160. So i thought thermostat stuck closed replaced it today with a new cummins one and it will go a little past 190 and drop down back to 150 like it was doing when i bought it. Did i pop another gasket or is the radiator stopping up? heater core lines will be hotter than the upper radaitor hose.

Sound like u have air in the cooling system maybe that's what mine does I just haven't let it Burt itself

Drill 1-2 1/8 inch holes in the thermostat. Should help keep temp more steady, will take a lil longer to warm up tho

Back