Overheating under load?

morkable

Just Over Broke
I know that my truck has a really leaky egr and it is going to be deleted soon. But I am trying to baby it through till I get my new company truck.

What is happening that is worrying me is that the heavier I tow the quicker it will overheat. Egts are totally fine never hitting over 1300. On level ground I can keep a nice steady 110 kmph speed (around 70mph) but any hill and the temp goes up very fast.

Will this go away when I do the egr delete and coolant flush?

When you say overheating, is it blowing coolant out the degas bottle or the dash gauge is indicating a high temperature.

I assume your engine is stock?

I hate to say it, but what you descride is classic symptoms of head gasket failure.

Yes stock, 4 inch exhaust, s&b intake and a sct tuner with matts tunes.

I am worried that it is the head gasket. I don't really have the time or cash to do studs and gaskets at this point

How can you not have enough cash? You live in Fort McMoney. :D

Someone who knows what they're doing can re & re the head gaskets in 3 days max. It is only the machining time that could delay the completion.

It could be a cracked head too. That's common when over heating is only under load

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Take a coolant reservoir cap. Drill and tap the cap, install a hose and fitting to a gauge that goes to 40-50 psi and stick it under your windshield wiper and go beat on it. What do you see?
A bad cap can cause this, but not real likely.
If you wanna take a road trip to Green Bay, Wi. I can get it fixed in 1-2 days tops. I have spare heads if needed and can have them ready to bolt on.

that would be quite the commute for me,, lol I have a new cap, and I will try that when I go back to ftm to pickup another trailer,, see if it makes any difference... I doubt it,, but worth a try

It's more likely your egr cooler leaking at this point than the headgaskets. If your get was deleted with those symptoms then headgaskets would be a dead ringer.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

would the bad egr cause this? Should I take the chance and just delete the egr and hope that the HG is good? I would hate to be that far in and not go the rest of the way... such a dilema

I suggest the cooler is leaking. That's where exhaust will enter the cooling system. Delete the valve and cooler. Thats one of the first things, IMO that you should do to a 6.0L.

IMHO super heating the coolant in the egr cooler then sending it straight into the engine oil cooler. Bad juju. But that's just me.

Take the cooler off and shove freeze plugs in both side.....then reinstall. EGR cooler is deleted and the coolant leak stopped. .50 cent fix. Mine qnd 100000 others done that way for nearly 8 years.

Pull egr valve out.....weld it closed.....clean chit off of it. Reinstall. Done. .50 worth of welding material.

Back