Oversize Head Stud

TruckYou

Long story short, I ended up going to 14mm headstuds. I got the block up on my Bridgeport yesterday to find out, I don't have enough table height adjustment to use this mill. Iv read a bunch about guys drilling with cordless drills and what not, and it just seems super Leary to me. I saw BHJ sells a Register Plate, which bolts to the deck and has 14mm holes for the tap and 12mm bushings for the drill bit. The stock studs are 12m, I need to prehole with a 12mm, then tap with a 14mm bottoming tap. The bhj kit is awesome, but it's not in the finances to spend $1500 for a one time use.

Has anyone else drilled/tapped there block? How'd you do it? Am I over thinking this?

I even went to the extent this past weekend of building my own miniature fixture plate, like bhj, using 3/4" aluminum, used the head gasket to find center of the stud holes, and drilled 3 holes in the plate, so I could bolt it to the deck with 2 M12 and use the 3rd hole to drill. But after trying it out I realized I was a thou or 2 off on my center punch and the bolt threads we're trying to bind, when I was bolting the plate down

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Damn it. Didn't mean to post in Forsale section... Sorry.

Subscribed. I just got done looking for any other option other than tapping my block and didn’t find anything. I got my rocker boxes back from the machine shop. Just need to find out away to get the block done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

seems like it would be worth it for someone who already has this $1500 plate to loan it to you for an evening for like $100.

Ya that would be awesome. I'm just curious other members opinions. I can make a new plate, to stablize the bit. From the outside looking in, it seems to me that, a 12mm pilot isn't going to remove very much material, and should follow the original hole with minimal deflection. Free hand drilling could oval out a hole, if off by a degree, but if I could fab a plate, mill all flats square , and drill the holes straight and to as tight of tollerance as possible to the actual shaft diamtere of the 12mm bit, it would be a piece of cake to drill. On my first attempt, I should've used a center punch the exact same size as the Headstud hole in the head gasket, to spot center, but I didn't have that size so I used a undersized center punch, and that slight difference was enough, I didn't dare move forward with it

Ya that would be awesome. I'm just curious other members opinions. I can make a new plate, to stablize the bit. From the outside looking in, it seems to me that, a 12mm pilot isn't going to remove very much material, and should follow the original hole with minimal deflection. Free hand drilling could oval out a hole, if off by a degree, but if I could fab a plate, mill all flats square , and drill the holes straight and to as tight of tollerance as possible to the actual shaft diamtere of the 12mm bit, it would be a piece of cake to drill. On my first attempt, I should've used a center punch the exact same size as the Headstud hole in the head gasket, to spot center, but I didn't have that size so I used a undersized center punch, and that slight difference was enough, I didn't dare move forward with it

Those magnetic base drills work great. Just used one to enlarge the prechamber hold down bolt holes on a Cat 3606.

Why not send it to a machine shop and let them do it. Might have $200 invested in them drilling and tapping the holes to 14mm

Why not send it to a machine shop and let them do it. Might have $200 invested in them drilling and tapping the holes to 14mm

x2 You said you're only planning on doing it to one engine. It seems like a cheap alternative and very low risk.

If I was only doing one I would probably just use a old head as a drill jig.

If you're central NY, contact Mark at TBR automotive and diesel machining, in Syracuse. Hes done a lot of machining for me, and he does a lot for milton cat since they're next door to him almost. Worth a shot, Marks a smart guy and great to deal with.

CompD neve disappoints. Alot of helpful information. I was actually contacted by someone who offered to let me borrow there BHJ plate. Super cool. Thanks everyone , thanks Comp D

Back