overtorque the stock head bolts how much?

Lance

Loner
If you had a brand new Matco torque wrench that was just calibrated by a NIST certified calibrator to within +/-4% accuracy, how much would you re-torque stock head bolts to hold more boost with a stock head gasket?

Tighten 'em till they strip then back them off a qarter turn.

George

Last edited:
Sorry, it was meant to be a joke as in tighten them until the threads strip out and then back it off :) Kina like tighten it until it snaps then back it off.

I guess my humor is off a bit today. I really had nothing worth saying as usual :)

George

I started by going to 90, then 110. the book says 90, then 45 degrees more, but thats for new ones. can I go to 120 without snapping them?

us military guys don't make as much money as you think, haha. I was going to replace the gasket and O ring it, with stock bolts, and later on get some studs when I start putting more into it with twins and such.

Lance, mine are at 160+ on stockers... The trick is to give the bolts some time to cool down between twists, and go in 5 lb increments.

...............I do not reccomend taking yours this tight without the help of a professional though. (BTW, that 1st pic is not the "proper"way LOL )

Attachments

• tq wrench.jpg
    tq wrench.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 161 tq.jpg
    161 tq.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 97
Lance said:
Ican I go to 120 without snapping them?

Have they been backed out and twisted in before? If not you should be able to go to 120.

I was told to put mine to 105 if I were to keep the stockers. But I went with studs... But once you do tighten the absolute crap out of stockers like a few seem to like to do. they turn to string cheese (not my words, but I'd agree).

Yeah, you can't re-use them once they have had the voodoo put on them. Keating runs stock bolts without issues, so I figure my pig should be okay.

Lance said:
us military guys don't make as much money as you think, haha. I was going to replace the gasket and O ring it, with stock bolts, and later on get some studs when I start putting more into it with twins and such.

I got a set of barely used ARP's off of this very board for $200 to my door... me likey that!

Timbeaux38 said:
Yeah, you can't re-use them once they have had the voodoo put on them. Keating runs stock bolts without issues, so I figure my pig should be okay.

Mudn_1 said:
its a goat tim!! plus you drive like my grandmother!

Lol I think that for a short period of time due to funds or whatever you can torque the stockers to 125 but just be slow about it, and let them cool for a while in between each sequence. BUT get studs ASAP.

And like Forrest I bought used studs, mine were $300 to my door though. No problems from them yet! They are holding my fireringed head on with no complaints!

Take them out and put them back in 1 by 1 and make sure to crossthread them,

Remeber "A good crossthread is better than lock-tight"

Michael

Mudn_1 said:
its a goat tim!! plus you drive like my grandmother!

Granny must drive like a bat out of hell then Brad LOL

Ok this is only to persons serving on active duty in the military, I will make a special price for ARP studs , it is confidential, pm me , this is not a cheap attempt to sell studs , I sell a few anyway , its out of respect to you guys for your service, I will also extend it to NX , I am a master distributor for both company’s

Back