P-pump 6.7 cr?

After reading this thread I have seen alot of good points made and repeated from over looking and with them all being placed in different parts of this thread. So i figured I would pitch in my $.02 on the situation all in one post to help enlighten a few. I haven't done this conversion, but I have looked into it quite a bit. A friend of mine is doing the same thing on a 2.6 puller (not mentioning any names either, he keeps things secret). I stopped by his shop a while back and asked him about how the build was going and seen the beast sitting in front of me.

Here is what I know and what he has told me.

Front gear case: it is alot simpler to just buy a gear case made for a CR/P-pump, but you can use the 12v case. Although in order to use the 12v case you will need to re drill and tap the block to get it to work. If I remember right, he told me that only 2 of the orginal holes in the 6.7 block lined up. And yes it is a ***** to do and time consuming, but it may save you alot of money in the long run.

Oil pan: correct me if I am wrong, but the CR oil pan will not bolt up to the 12v gear case up front. Not sure if the mating surfaces are the same either. I believe I have read where a few people have cut the front off the CR oil pan and grafted the front of a 12V oil pan on to it. Although, if the mating surfaces are the same, I would say all you really need to do is fill in the original front mounting holes on the pan, and re-drill the pan to bolt up to the 12v gear case.

Gearing: Just save yourself alot of $$$ and just use the 12v or VP24v gear set. The cam and crank gears are pressed on. If you are super careful, you can remove the CR crank gear using a die grinder and a cold chissel and hammer. Carefully grind a groove in the gear at the dowl pin area of the crank and crank gear leaving a little material of the gear at the crank. Be super carefull not to nick the crankshaft at all. Then take the chissel and carefully strike the gear in the groove you just ground out. The gear will then split open and with alittle elbow grease, it will come off. Another thing to try would be to grind out 2 sections of the teeth at the back of the crank gear. Both sections being 180* apart. Cut the 2 sections just big enough for a 2 finger gear puller to firmly grip the gear. Next place the gear puller on the crank and put pressure on the jack bolt. Some may come right off, then others you will have to heat the gear with a torch. The cam gear can easlily be pressed off and on using a hydriloc bottle jack press. I wouldn't recommend using the CR cam gear. It is only half the thickness of the 12v and VP24v cam gear, and it wouldn't last long in a high hp/big pump application.

Cylinder head: If using a CR head, you will have to modify the intake plenum or completly remove it and build your own plenum or individual runner intake. For those using the original intake plenum, you will need to cut a section of the plenum out to clear the Governor house on the P-7100. I believe you can weld in a patch panel on the inside of the plenum and it will give you enough clearance. Although, when welding on the head, TAKE YOUR TIME!!! Cast Iron will crack if too much heat builds up in one spot. I would suggest just tack welding slowly alowing plenty of time for the head to cool between tacks.

Cross over tubes/ Delivery tubes. The thread end and the design of the CR Cross over tubes are different than the VP24v tubes. You will need to get the custom Cross over tubes for the CR head using VP24v p-pump conversion lines.

Pistons: The use of the CR pistons with the VP24v injectors will work and get you running. But to get the most out of your engine, I would recommend using pistons and injectors that will match up as far as spray pattern and bowl design. This is one area I haven't touched on yet as far as specs and what works the best. Maybe Smokem will chime in here and fill you guys in on the 101 of injectors and pistons.

Connecting Rods: The CR cracked cap rods in my opinion are JUNK!! Go with the 12v or VP24v rods. They have been proven to hold up in most high hp applications with just a little TLC. They are the same length as the 6.7 rods aswell. Either that or go with a set of billet rods.

Oil Pump: Not sure, but I would say a 12v or 24v helical gear pump will work and should bolt right up. If not you maybe able to just swap the gears between the 2 pumps.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
After reading this thread I have seen alot of good points made and repeated from over looking and with them all being placed in different parts of this thread. So i figured I would pitch in my $.02 on the situation all in one post to help enlighten a few. I haven't done this conversion, but I have looked into it quite a bit. A friend of mine is doing the same thing on a 2.6 puller (not mentioning any names either, he keeps things secret). I stopped by his shop a while back and asked him about how the build was going and seen the beast sitting in front of me.

Here is what I know and what he has told me.

Front gear case: it is alot simpler to just buy a gear case made for a CR/P-pump, but you can use the 12v case. Although in order to use the 12v case you will need to re drill and tap the block to get it to work. If I remember right, he told me that only 2 of the orginal holes in the 6.7 block lined up. And yes it is a ***** to do and time consuming, but it may save you alot of money in the long run.
Issue with the 12v/24V front covers if the locating dowel. 6.7 block has two dowel very low on the block. A long ways away from the PPump. You have to really watch your gear lash setting on this, the critical/hard part of this is redowelling it.

Oil pan: correct me if I am wrong, but the CR oil pan will not bolt up to the 12v gear case up front. Not sure if the mating surfaces are the same either. I believe I have read where a few people have cut the front off the CR oil pan and grafted the front of a 12V oil pan on to it. Although, if the mating surfaces are the same, I would say all you really need to do is fill in the original front mounting holes on the pan, and re-drill the pan to bolt up to the 12v gear case.
Just re drill the gear housing to fit the 6.7 pan

Gearing: Just save yourself alot of $$$ and just use the 12v or VP24v gear set. The cam and crank gears are pressed on. If you are super careful, you can remove the CR crank gear using a die grinder and a cold chissel and hammer. Carefully grind a groove in the gear at the dowl pin area of the crank and crank gear leaving a little material of the gear at the crank. Be super carefull not to nick the crankshaft at all. Then take the chissel and carefully strike the gear in the groove you just ground out. The gear will then split open and with alittle elbow grease, it will come off. Another thing to try would be to grind out 2 sections of the teeth at the back of the crank gear. Both sections being 180* apart. Cut the 2 sections just big enough for a 2 finger gear puller to firmly grip the gear. Next place the gear puller on the crank and put pressure on the jack bolt. Some may come right off, then others you will have to heat the gear with a torch. The cam gear can easlily be pressed off and on using a hydriloc bottle jack press. I wouldn't recommend using the CR cam gear. It is only half the thickness of the 12v and VP24v cam gear, and it wouldn't last long in a high hp/big pump application.

Cylinder head: If using a CR head, you will have to modify the intake plenum or completly remove it and build your own plenum or individual runner intake. For those using the original intake plenum, you will need to cut a section of the plenum out to clear the Governor house on the P-7100. I believe you can weld in a patch panel on the inside of the plenum and it will give you enough clearance. Although, when welding on the head, TAKE YOUR TIME!!! Cast Iron will crack if too much heat builds up in one spot. I would suggest just tack welding slowly alowing plenty of time for the head to cool between tacks.

Cross over tubes/ Delivery tubes. The thread end and the design of the CR Cross over tubes are different than the VP24v tubes. You will need to get the custom Cross over tubes for the CR head using VP24v p-pump conversion lines.

Pistons: The use of the CR pistons with the VP24v injectors will work and get you running. But to get the most out of your engine, I would recommend using pistons and injectors that will match up as far as spray pattern and bowl design. This is one area I haven't touched on yet as far as specs and what works the best. Maybe Smokem will chime in here and fill you guys in on the 101 of injectors and pistons.

Connecting Rods: The CR cracked cap rods in my opinion are JUNK!! Go with the 12v or VP24v rods. They have been proven to hold up in most high hp applications with just a little TLC. They are the same length as the 6.7 rods aswell. Either that or go with a set of billet rods.

Oil Pump: Not sure, but I would say a 12v or 24v helical gear pump will work and should bolt right up. If not you maybe able to just swap the gears between the 2 pumps.
Hope this helps.
24V pump won't fit. Turn it down to make it fir.

Good idea to consolidate. Responses in red.

What are you guys doing to the VP injector so it fits into a CR head? I tried to fit in a VP injector into a 03 CR engine. It didn't seem to want to slide into position.

Where you guys get the CR to VP pump injector line cross tubes from?

Been thinking its easier just to run a VP head on a 6.7 engine, and run a P7100

What are you guys doing to the VP injector so it fits into a CR head? I tried to fit in a VP injector into a 03 CR engine. It didn't seem to want to slide into position.

I'm getting ready to sort out the head/injector fit issue. Just brought my 6.7 head home yesterday and I'll see what has to be modified. It's a litte bit easier to handle with the intake removed.

Last edited:
here's a picture of the 6.7 head with 24v injector and hold down in place. The injector sits up a bit too high for the clamp. I don't see any reason why the top end of the injector body couldn't be trimmed in a lathe to get the proper length. Needs to be around .075 removed(just eyeballed it). The slot in the top of the body should be fine as it's plenty deep. From the side, looking in the cross over tube channel, the chamfer on the side of the body is visually centered so that should be fine. I don't know how much the injector nozzle is supposed to protrude below the bottom surface of the head. Someone shoot me a measurement and I'll turn this thing over and measure the protrusion on this.

Attachments

• head 003.jpg
    head 003.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What pistons you guys going with? I'm thinking I'm just going to use the 6.7L cummins piston. I'm still trying to get all the little pieces to do this build-up.

You probably could use the vp head on the 6.7 once you machine the steam journals into it.

Injector protrusion is .160". I'm using Cummins pistons. If you want to run alot of timing you can use the Cummins pistons with the large shallow bowl(slightly lower compression).

You guys running the 6.7L piston right out of the box? Can't see why this wouldn't work with the VP injectors. The VP piston has more of lip on the top of the piston bowl than 6.7L does.

Thanks guys.

Not sure if this will help you as far as running the p-pump but i'm running 03-early 04 injectors. I'm not sure if the spray angle of the vp injectors and the early common rail injectors are similar? Also i'm running stock 6.7 pistons, cut and coated.

307diesel, you running 12V/VP rods or you using billet rods?

Nice to have a 800-900rwhp daily driver. Sounds like you have a nice set-up.

Thanks, it's lots of fun.
Right now running stock rods, they've been in it for two years and no problems yet, turning 4,000. It's not much of a daily driver, smokes a bunch, throttle is way too touchy, and you can hardly pass someone without 4wd, I don't drive it if pavement's wet. It tends to get a little out of hand.

Last edited:
Were you guys getting the gear box housing to convert the 6.7 for the P7100? I going to have to start my build here shortly, my 02 engine has seen better days and hate to just rebuild the 5.9L, when I have a 6.7L engine laying in the corner.

Anyone install a 6.7L crank into a 5.9L storm block? Might be my next choice if I can't find a decent way to get a 12V gearbox casing onto the 6.7L block.

Were you guys getting the gear box housing to convert the 6.7 for the P7100? I going to have to start my build here shortly, my 02 engine has seen better days and hate to just rebuild the 5.9L, when I have a 6.7L engine laying in the corner.

Anyone install a 6.7L crank into a 5.9L storm block? Might be my next choice if I can't find a decent way to get a 12V gearbox casing onto the 6.7L block.

Here ya go.

Enterprise Engine Performance - Billet Timing Gear Housing Engine Covers

Back