P-pump Guys Please Help!!

smokin1997

I Know Nothing
pull up a chair cause here is the story. This pump was built in Feb. of 2009. 13mm p-pump

on the 12th of june i went to the pulls. my truck has always sounded rattly for some reason. one of the guys there said I was only running on 5 cylinders, sure as **** I was, so I took the pump off and sent it back to the injection builder to get it fixed. I thought it was a stuck plunger. On the Wednesday 16th I sent it off, on Friday morning the 17th I called and asked if it was fixed, and they told me the cam, rollers and lifters in the pump were trashed and that was what was causing it not to pump fuel out if the #1 barrel in the pump, causing a dead hole!! well, I said fix it. So I drive a 5 hour round trip to pick the pump up so I could run saturday. We got it on late Friday night, aand started the truck and the problem was solved, no more dead hole.

Here is where the problem starts. As I brought the rpms up on Saturday, it sounded fine. Just after I let the clutch out it started to flutter and did so the entire run. Only built 55lbs of boost instead of 75-80lbs. Of course I kept in it until the truck basically died at the end. I rested my foot on the pedal to keep the truck from dying, and just then it ran off. I have key on power, and the recall on the tach said 4800 rpm when I turned it off and it was still climbing. We pulled the air shutoff and it slowed it down, but then took off again as it failed. The truck ran like this for about 60 seconds, until I finally got back in and put it in gear and dumped the clutch to kill it.
I called the pump shop and they said it was running on engine oil and nothing to do with their pump. However, ther is NO oil on the hood, exhaust, intake, exhaust manifold, injectors, charger or anywhere else. There was no blue smoke or any smell of burning oil. The grey smoke is from the water. I am taking the head off, cause there is coolant from a couple head studs.

To me the problem is the rack is stuck.

What makes me pissed of is the fact that this was the first run on this pump being rebuilt for the second time.
I am running 5x.020 injectors, fass with 78psi, and 1/2 in lines. Her is a video of the run, I have another that shows the runaway.

Please give me your thoughts, and I can give more info . I just cant think of everything now

http://www.youtube.com/user/325ctd#p/u/5/vBqoDedpwMg

damnit it man, hopefully it didnt tear anything up to bad. good luck on getting your problems resolved

Bad plunger/barrel, rack hung, simple. I would find another shop to work on the pump.

As soon as you here a flutter like that you shoulda been shutting it down

what size inj. lines ? we had one do the same thing and the pump shop said we had to small of lines, and hydro-locked the pump which stuck the rack. we now run another shops pump with bigger lines

It was fuel... but I think he threw his helmet down so hard that it actually free'd up the rack ?

have you checked you linkage? broken springs maybe?

yes. everything was fine. Its in the pump wher the problem is

Bad plunger/barrel, rack hung, simple. I would find another shop to work on the pump.

thats what everyone has said. Ijust wanted more opinions

As soon as you here a flutter like that you shoulda been shutting it down

I'm sorry. I go out to win. I will keep that in mind for the next time. Regardless, from what I am being told, I was stuck at from point on

what size inj. lines ? we had one do the same thing and the pump shop said we had to small of lines, and hydro-locked the pump which stuck the rack. we now run another shops pump with bigger lines

.093. they are new

It was fuel... but I think he threw his helmet down so hard that it actually free'd up the rack ?

LMAO Matt. thanks for being there to help!

I did get the head off. There is no oil in the intake pipe, or exhaust piping. Also there is ZERO oil on the tops of the pistons or in the cylinders. This was deffinatly not an "engine oil runaway" as this said company calims. Kinda rediculous that a pump that is 24 hours old would do this I think? I will be hand delivering the pump and injectors to them wednesday so I can watch them check things out.

I understand the fact that if you play, then you pay. But this is a bit fast for a pump to take a dump. Thats just my opinion though.

im gonna agree on both points there, i'd also tell them to pay to have someone else fix their phuck up.

Add another vote for a stuck b&p, therefore stuck rack. Sounds like the plunger stuck about 15 or 20 feet out and that's where your miss down the track came from...only fueling on 5 cylinders.

Back