p pump leak under overflow valve?

K204DR

I'm the Driver
so I have a 180 pump on my truck that is loosing prime when it sits after a few days. only thing I can find is on the side of the pump, under the overflow valve, there is a large allen plug, that appears to possibly be leaking, as its got dirt and stuff around it and its damp.
anyone ever have one leak there? looks like I'd have to remove the pump to tighten it, if thats even possible.

the return hose is fine. it has a metal line the whole length of the pump. the overflow valve screws into the pump thru a banjo fitting on the metal line. its not dripping down from that.

I’m very familiar with a p-pump. The metal tube from the OFV runs behind the pump. There is a rubber hose from that line down to the metal line going to the tank. That rubber hose is a known common problem. It deteriorates and allows air in, making the lift pump lose prime.

yeah that line is fairly new. I had the motor out 1 1/2 years ago and rebuilt it. trying to figure out what that plug that unscrews in the pump is for.
it just started this in the last 2-3 months.

Have you removed the fuel heater?

If this is the one you’re asking about, it looks like it’s just a plug with a seal on it. Probably pick one up at a pump shop.

Where you at in TN?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 8EEB575F-FA88-4A3E-A808-F6B64B7C0725.jpeg
    8EEB575F-FA88-4A3E-A808-F6B64B7C0725.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 3A00EE59-049D-40AB-A794-4C0071DF997D.jpeg
    3A00EE59-049D-40AB-A794-4C0071DF997D.jpeg
    717.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Have you removed and checked the overflow valve?

If the spring isn't seating the check ball fully, will loose prime after a day or two.

the overflow is fairly new on this pump. I guess I'll have to pull the pump and see if I can tighten that somehow. looks like its either an aluminum or copper washer.
This pump has maybe 20K on it from a full build. I guess Its possible it worked loose.

That’s right, you’re in Ooltewah. Where I’m at, I’d call Taylor Diesel in Nashville for that seal/washer. Only place I could find in Chattanooga is Southeast Diesel. Looks like they do pump work from their website.

well I ended up welding a metric bolt with the right size 12mm head to a flat bar, and taking off the return line so I could get in there and tighten it after cleaning it off. let it sit two days after that and it started right up so I think I will call it fixed until something else happens. better than pulling the pump anyhow.

Back