p pump or keep vp44

T-MAN

misunderstood
Need some help, Im dusting off my toy... 2001.5 2500 auto. i see guys are getting near 800hp on the vp powered trucks now.The best mine ever did was 628/1141 on fuel only 10/9/04 at kauffmans fall brawl.It also ran 12.07@111 in 10/04.
I pulled the engine apart today because it sat with turbos off and injectors out of it for a few years and wanted to check to see how bad the cylinders were.
my old set up was a stock so 5.9 with so vp fed by fast
Diesel dynamics cam lol old i know
Ported and o ringed head with enterprise engine valve springs,retainers and bridges
mach 6 injectors
B1/ quickspool over s475 external gate. The b1 needs a rebuild now.
Redline box 8/04 was one of the first and a edge box
i just dont know weather to try p pumping or one of the new vp pumps out there, would like to see around 800 hp Truck is driven on the street but not my daily driver its more of a toy..
I want to do some pulling and drag racing this year at the local pulls and track.
looking for some set ups and opinions to put me in the right direction.. Thanks in advance..

How competitive you want it to be, how fast you want to go, how driver friendly?

Personally, I'd keep VP. As you said, plenty of power for a toy truck can be made from a VP and not go through the pump swap.

My brother went from a s400 single VP truck as a daily driver and pump swapped and dropped to a 2.5 charger for pulling and regrets it. He had so much more fun with that 467 driving if and pulling when he could then he does not just sled pulling. The VP never made enough power to tear stuff apart but could place top 10 occasionally. He hasn't been able to get the truck now tuned right, keeps breaking driveline and it's becoming a job to run.

How competitive you want it to be, how fast you want to go, how driver friendly?

Personally, I'd keep VP. As you said, plenty of power for a toy truck can be made from a VP and not go through the pump swap.

My brother went from a s400 single VP truck as a daily driver and pump swapped and dropped to a 2.5 charger for pulling and regrets it. He had so much more fun with that 467 driving if and pulling when he could then he does not just sled pulling. The VP never made enough power to tear stuff apart but could place top 10 occasionally. He hasn't been able to get the truck now tuned right, keeps breaking driveline and it's becoming a job to run.

never going to be the fastest or the strongest puller.. the pulls are local and i pull exhibition because of the setup.. I would like to see 11 second quarter mile around 800 should get me there...I dont think a stock vp will get me there. whats hot for vp's now, i read some are hard to actually get your hands on..

Having swapped mine wanting hp in a driver, I'd stick with the vp. The vp always drove nicer, even if I couldn't tune it the way I wanted.

i see guys are getting near 800hp on the vp powered trucks

the only ones getting near that are using aftermarket vps and/or nitrous. can think of very few so pumps near 800hp on fuel.

p-pump it. hands down the best thing i did to my truck. drives night and day better than the vp. less smoke. no where near as temperamental. when i swapped initially i kept the same turbo and injectors. made nearly identical power with slightly more torque on fuel with an untuned pump. if i had time to tune it before i dyno'd it should have made over 700 on fuel. it made 870 when we sprayed it.

never going to be the fastest or the strongest puller.. the pulls are local and i pull exhibition because of the setup.. I would like to see 11 second quarter mile around 800 should get me there...I dont think a stock vp will get me there. whats hot for vp's now, i read some are hard to actually get your hands on..

800 hp will get you well into the 11's. With a old drag comp, mach 6's, 66 turbo, so pump and water meth my truck would go 11.70's - 11.80's. When I changed to a monster pump with hurricane ll's, I picked up about 1/2 (.5) second. 800 with a so pump and no nitrous will be tough. Thanks Steve B.

Hi guys, Decided to ppump. I spoke with seth and hes building me a stage 4 pump. So my setup will be the pump from seth, hamilton 188/220 the mach6 injectors re popped and my same s300 over 475 twins. Does anybody have a dyno graph with a set up similar to mine they can post ? would like to see the power curve compared to a vp power truck. I know the timing affects the curve. But would like to see how flat or peaked it is compared to the electronic pump. Thanks in advance

Back