p pump timing from scratch?

BottleFed

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to start from scratch on timing a p7100. Im not 100% sure the pump is still set to a factory setting and have not been able to find anything to tell me exactly what its set at internally. I know that stock should be somewhere between 13-14* but i have had nothing but problems setting timing. Is there a way to put my DI in the front DV port and find zero or some point i can be 100% sure im within a degree or two? Not sure if im wording this right let me know if i need to make it more clear. Thanks.

You could do the spill port method as cliff suggested. Or if you have a the timing kit like snap on sells you could check it that way. Put the kit on and roll it over til the timing pin lines up and the rotate backwards til it stops. Then come back up til the pin goes in again. Take the reading and compare it to the crank TDC. If its lined up your probably at stock timing unless someone had the pump reset

I originally called a pump shop with the numbers off the side of the pump because I didn't have the ID plate on the timing cover.

If you have a pump like mine with no tab because some one broke it off.you have to spill port it first then I can set it from there.

rotate pump to desired plunger lift (with tool)...

proceed with regular timing method.

Find top dead center then use plunger lift method with I dial indicator and a timing chart. You don't need the fancy snap on kit even though They are nice.

from phone

Fab up a tool that will allow you to rotate the IP with the gear disengaged.
What am I missing - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
Turn the engine to TDC, rotate the IP backwards to the flat part of the cam, then foward to the desired lift and tq the nut to 144lb/ft.

That would work if he knew which pump he had. He is missing the tags off of his. To the OP sorry i cant see sig's on tapatalk, is this the original pump that came on the truck? If so maybe we can get you pointed in the right direction on timing it

That would work if he knew which pump he had. He is missing the tags off of his. To the OP sorry i cant see sig's on tapatalk, is this the original pump that came on the truck? If so maybe we can get you pointed in the right direction on timing it

Nothing in his posts indicated that the tags are missing. What did I miss?

Fab up a tool that will allow you to rotate the IP with the gear disengaged.
What am I missing - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together
Turn the engine to TDC, rotate the IP backwards to the flat part of the cam, then foward to the desired lift and tq the nut to 144lb/ft.

This sounds pretty simple and maybe the way I'd do it. I have an old Cummins 855 small cam. We are working on getting the injectors set correctly. The relation to this thread is that at TDC you would want lift to be falling off. If you are advancing the timing, the desired out come it to have the injector fire before the piston is at TDC.

With that being said. If you have the pump gear off and find cylinder number one to be at TDC, then use your dial indicator to find where the plunger is resting on the cam to where the plunger is at the top of the travel, you will find where the injector is firing.

Now how plunger travel relates to timing advance, I don't know. Maybe that is what a timing chart is used for?

Yes the timing chart will tell you X mm of lift give you Y* timing (with motor tdc). Also you want to set timing when plunger is on the rise.

from phone

Yes the timing chart will tell you X mm of lift give you Y* timing (with motor tdc). Also you want to set timing when plunger is on the rise.

from phone

So if you set the timing while the plunger is on the rise aren't you retarding the timing?

The cylinder would be at TDC and if you set the plunger on the rise, that causes the injector to fire after the cylinder is at TDC. Therefore retarding the timing. Correct?

So if you set the timing while the plunger is on the rise aren't you retarding the timing?

The cylinder would be at TDC and if you set the plunger on the rise, that causes the injector to fire after the cylinder is at TDC. Therefore retarding the timing. Correct?

No the timing chart takes into account for engine being TDC. Think of it this way. If you were to set it with the plunger on down stroke 2mm would be way more advanced timing than 8mm. But That's not the case. Remember also we are turning pump shaft clockwise.
The injector doesn't "pop"when the plunger is at tdc. It fires way before that.
e8yvede4.jpg

from phone

Sure is nice having this discussion. Too bad BottleFed, the OP, doesn't have the manners to provide some feedback.

Back