P0216 Injection Pump Timing Failure

JDGnut

Has anyone else run across this code. I pulled the pump and there's something lose in the pump.. sounds like its in the bottom in the timing area.. The new pump should be here tomorrow... I've pulled a bunch of pumps.. but I haven't seen this code... Just interested if this more common that what I have seen..
Thanks,
Bryan

P0216 has always been the tits up code for the VP44 as long as I can remember.

I'm surprised that you've never seen that code before. It's one of the most common codes.

Maybe its been a while.. and I'm just slipping.. but I seem to get the 181 code more often. (injection pump failure.)
I've never had one that rattled when I turned it over..
Thanks guys..
Bryan

Kalder.. tell me what you have seen with the 216 code from the lift pump... I got the new VP on it today... I got it running.. sent him around the block... it died.. had to pull it back.. It had the 216 code in it.. but I had not cleared it out from the first time, but I didn't check the codes after I replaced the VP 44 pump.. so I don't know if it was still in there from the orginal problem.. or if it was set from the second time. (I had the batteries disconnect for a few days waiting for the Injection Pump, thought have cleared it self) Tonight I put the scanner on it, and cleared the code.
The lift pump is doing some wierd things.. the pressure was all over the place.. without the engine running it was 7-20psi.. last month I put an Air Tex lift pump on it, because it didnt have any pressure from the stock lift pump.
Actually I think the trucks low on fuel, or its got a problem with pickup tube in the tank.. I'm having them put some fuel in it tomorrow.. the guage says it has fuel in it.. but listening to the lift pump it sounds like its not getting fuel...
After working with it for a while.. I can sometimes get the lines bled out, and get it to run for a little while.. the lift pump pressure never drops below 5-7.. (but it starts surging up and down.. and then final dies... or it just acts like you cut the key off.. but it shows no codes... (keeps pointing back to fuel...???)
I don't have the truck at my shop so this thing is killing me..
Thanks,
Bryan

Bad thing is when I turn the old VP44 over.. it sounds like theres something loose on the inside... (I hadn't noticed that on anyothers.. )

Last edited:
Back