P0401 '98 12v

dslhtrdr

Always learning...
Traded my dirt bike a couple weeks ago for a friends '98 qcsb 12v. Unfortunately I have to smog it because of ownership transfer, and the check engine light can't be on during a smog test.

It's throwing the p0401 code, which basically means insufficient egr flow. I've cleared the code a couple times, and it eventually comes back on. Tomorrow (hopefully) I'll have time after work to remove the egr valve(if I can, haven't looked at it closely yet...) and clean the soot off of it to the remedy the situation.

It currently has a custom ground #100 plate, star wheel and smoke screw are adjusted, and it has a volant intake. It does roll a little coal, which leads me to think the egr valve has too much soot build up on it, causing the code to surface.

If anyone has more experience than me regarding this, please speak up. Advice is appreciated.

No experience with an EGR 12v...

You can tune it to be smoke free though...

I plan on sliding the plate all the way back for the test and backing the smoke screw way out. Previous owner wanted it to smoke more, so we made it smoke more...

I hope this helps, it's a quick read! :rockwoot:

EGR valve on 5.9L 12V questions - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Thanks for the link, I actually read that one last night. I'd like to pull all the egr equipment off, I'm just not sure if the smog tech will be smart enough to know whether or not the truck was supposed to have it on in the first place. We'll see how cleaning it goes tonight.

just rig the plug somehow to read ok, maybe you could jump some wires?

Then you are part of the problem...

I took the egr valve off this evening and cleaned it. It had some soot and carbon buildup on it. I took a wire brush and some solvent to it. Put it all back together and so far the light is staying off.

I wouldn't necessarily call myself the problem. He wanted to make the truck faster. I'm not an advocate for all the people who roll huge clouds of smoke and think it looks cool. It's a very bad representation of our hobby, or sport, or whatever you would like to call it. And this truck only produces a small "puff" at best, thus the reason I said "rolls a little coal."

just rig the plug somehow to read ok, maybe you could jump some wires?

I was thinking about that. I deleted the trans temp sensor on my '94 with a 1k ohm resistor and thought that maybe the same thing could be done?

I took the egr valve off this evening and cleaned it. It had some soot and carbon buildup on it. I took a wire brush and some solvent to it. Put it all back together and so far the light is staying off.

I wouldn't necessarily call myself the problem. He wanted to make the truck faster. I'm not an advocate for all the people who roll huge clouds of smoke and think it looks cool. It's a very bad representation of our hobby, or sport, or whatever you would like to call it. And this truck only produces a small "puff" at best, thus the reason I said "rolls a little coal."

That plus cleaning up the tuning a little should fix you right up.

I agree with you that it's a bad representation of us, and that's why I won't help them do it...

I put about 30 miles on it after work this evening, a mix of around town and freeway driving, and so far so good. Before the light would turn back on in less than 10 miles, so I think it's good to go.

Back