p7100 quickrate pump cam

picard590_3

someone have some spec. of a regrind quickrate cam for go with 13mm plunger. I think I need to grind only the back of the lobe at angle.

The guys and gals on here are very helpful but I don't think anyone that has access to a grind spec with release that kind of info. I have several grind specs for my cams but I will not give them away.

Ive allways heard regrinds never lasted long in a high rpm p-pump, but I could be wrong.

The lift with most quick rate cams is the same as factory. as far as the opening rate of the cam they usually are not altered too much. Most performance p-pump cams have grinding on the backside to give more fill time for the higher revs but never are rehardened. Higher rpm, soft cores, and no added spring pressure to combat almost double rpm over factory pumps combined with larger plungers and yes they typically don't last forever. Typically, at high rpm, the roller is launched over the nose of the cam loosing contact. The roller typically hammers the cam when it comes down half way down the closing ramp. We have 3 different grinds available. If I had a 13mm pump and I wanted longevity, I would use a factory 887,913,885 or 911 cam. You will loose a little bit of topend fueling but you will gain a lot of longevity.

We looked at doing a cam, rollers and return springs for the p-pump but people wanted the head first.

Zach

Working on the site content as we speak. I will have some stuff up in the next week.

Zach

If I had a 13mm pump and I wanted longevity, I would use a factory 887,913,885 or 911 cam. You will loose a little bit of topend fueling but you will gain a lot of longevity.

Done it and it works fine on a less than 4K motor.

We looked at doing a cam, rollers and return springs for the p-pump.

Columbus this and does coating, that's why there stuff works when others fail.

Jim

I had a 13mm pump built from another shop, it failed and took my engine out with it. I was a little upset for spending $2900 on a 4bt pump, Mark at Columbus rebuilt it and did all of their tweaks for $400. No b.s. or hype with them their stuff just works. Jim you are 100% correct.

Not from america?

Probably from Missouri.

I just took my CDS built 13mm pump off to be looked at. I've been running it on the street for about a year and decided to send it in to see if there is any unusual wear. It started as a 180 pump and they left the stock cam in. I has a funky idle, but is a dream to drive. Throttle response is really nice. I have an 887 pump with just under 20k original miles that I bought brand new. I'm going to send it in to CDS to have 13mm p&b's put in. The 13 runs cleaner on the bottom end than the 12mm does with the same dv's, lines, and injectors.

Last edited:
are symmetrical cams hard to come by? I know they are not ideal for a pump that is seeing street use due to having no trailing edge, but in a all out performance truck would it be worth it?

Also, im guessing that the grinds that are used on the asymmetrical cams just have a trailing edge that drops off quicker then the stock trailing edge allowing for more fill time?

We looked at doing a cam, rollers and return springs for the p-pump but people wanted the head first

Not trying to cut you down, but Bosch has had better tappets, rollers, pins, higher tension springs, and better cam profiles out for quite some time...having the correct part numbers to get them comes with experience from working on all kinds of different application pumps...a bunch of shops don't have a clue what the pumps do at such high rpm and they don't build a pump to endure the beating. I personally have repaired a bunch of "super" pumps from well known and frequently referenced pumps shops that use factory "slow" cam profiles, stock or lower tension springs, and/or worn out tappets and rollers.

I personally have repaired a bunch of "super" pumps from well known and frequently referenced pumps shops that use factory "slow" cam profiles, stock or lower tension springs, and/or worn out tappets and rollers.

Let me guess, it beat the cam out of it, I've been through 3 cam shafts over the years, the three are the one I had to pay for the fix.

Zach, I just sent a pump to Columbus for nothing more than a stand run to make sure it was ok and they got 80 more cc's out of it......setting at 400 cc's with stock dv's and holders at 5K.

Jim

Ctd no offense taken. Bosch parts don't leave all of the ower on the table, I can promise you.

Jim, That sounds like a nasty low and inexpensive pump!

Its very hard to beat a 903 camshaft from bosch in a 7100 pump. Just one of the things i've learned about those little pumps.

Zach

And I like CDS's work as well.

Back