Painting the block.

me2

I have a complete Cummins 6.7 engine for my swap. Fan to flywheel.

I'll be doing the headstuds on it.

I'd like to paint the block red, but I am wondering if its worth the effort.

If I do paint it, what should I remove and what should I paint ?

I'm really worried about messing with the injector lines (removing them) and keeping debris out of the fuel system while I paint it. Any tips ?

Thanks

It is kind of up to you on this matter. Just be careful with it and make sure to tape up EVERYTHING you dont want painted. If you take your time and do a good job, you wont regret it. I like having brighter colors painted on the engine. Makes it much easier to see down in the darker places IMO.

I used VHT 500* primer and paint for the block. I'll post pics when I get back to my laptop. Degrease and redegrease everything then I used brake clean and alcohol for final prep blew dry with an air hose and went to town

The POR-15 engine paint system works well. But as said before the better the prep the better the finish.

here is a picture of my motor before and after. The block was red but with all the oil and dirt on it it looked black. The grime was so bad I had to use Baby oil to get most of it off then I used a good degreaser then alcohol then painted it.

Attachments

• DSC00341.jpg
    DSC00341.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC00227.jpg
    DSC00227.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
Baby oil is a good one.. How well does it work? just pour it on and pressure wash it off or what?

Here is a pic of my .020 over CR

a6f96546-22b0-f7f6.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

I used DuPont engine enamel and then put 3 coats of clear on top of the paint, so far anything that gets on it wipes off instantly and you can't tell it was there... And it makes it super shiny

Every oreillys that I have been to stock it, but they might have to order the color you want, it's 500* paint

Did you remove the CP3 or mask it ?

Should I paint the pan red as well ?

I've never heard of Engine enamel before. Thanks for mentioning it.

Cp3 was removed for painting and then put back on.
My pan is gonna be painted to just was waiting on a new one cause mine was cracked around the drain plug access.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I want to remove the fuel system but not the injectors or the connector tubes.

How do I plug/mask the connector tubes and not get any microscopic debris in them ?

I want to remove the fuel system but not the injectors or the connector tubes.

How do I plug/mask the connector tubes and not get any microscopic debris in them ?

I used shop towel chunks, but I also had the tubes out

The theory is that if any paper gets left in the system it will dissolve in the diesel fuel and not harm anything ?

I wasn't backing it by any theory and I haven't heard the dissolving thing.... I was just saying that's what I used and it worked

Back