Papermate in the OF valve

biggy238

O.k. so it was really a bic, but what the hell.

I'm not getting into the history, but this truck hasn't had healthy fuel pressure since 2004.

What should my fuel pressure be on the stock lift pump before something fails? I'm pretty sure it's nearly deadheaded right now.

How long did any of you who have this mod, cut the spring from the ink pen?

Right now, mine is just shorter than the factory spring, to keep it from buckling over when I put the screw in on top of it. I had to center both springs with a pick when I got the of valve back together.

As of right now, It went from 10psi at idle to pinning out my dakota digital 75psi gauge. I think the warning on it was set to flash at 35 so it's flashing constantly now. I confirmed pressure with a mechanical from work.

The power is nice though.

I cut mine to the same length as the stretched out stock spring. I forgot what it measured.

Did it about 2 years ago.

But I don't have a fuel pressure gauge.

If the springs aren't counterwound, you could be asking for trouble. You might be asking for trouble with 75psi+ from a stock pump.

O.k. so it was really a bic, but what the hell.

I'm not getting into the history, but this truck hasn't had healthy fuel pressure since 2004.

What should my fuel pressure be on the stock lift pump before something fails? I'm pretty sure it's nearly deadheaded right now.

How long did any of you who have this mod, cut the spring from the ink pen?

Right now, mine is just shorter than the factory spring, to keep it from buckling over when I put the screw in on top of it. I had to center both springs with a pick when I got the of valve back together.

As of right now, It went from 10psi at idle to pinning out my dakota digital 75psi gauge. I think the warning on it was set to flash at 35 so it's flashing constantly now. I confirmed pressure with a mechanical from work.

The power is nice though.

over 60 psi at idle..

you are askin for trouble.. and more.. What i did was stretch the spring by 2mm or so, and insert the spring in the center of the stock one, however the spring was stretched to the same legnth as what the stretched stock one was... this yielded me 36-40 psi at idle, dependant on outside temperature and fuel viscosity....

Well, I can still tweak on this thing. Only takes about 10 minutes. I didn't catch the thing about the counter wound srings before. I will be switching springs to take care of this.

Why does the high pressure have an adverse affect? I know fulmer told me it did some time ago. Just causes pump errosion?

And I started this thread to find out what pressure to set at. I know it's too high.

I suppose the avatar is misleading. I have a 96 that is my daily driver, with the "Real Pump"

The wife drives the black 03 to work and back.

40psi at idle is about the standard around here.
Anything more than that just beats the pump up and it will start leaking.

I'll cut another winding out of it then.

Makes all that aeromotive stuff I have seem kinda useless now.

I'll cut another winding out of it then.

Makes all that aeromotive stuff I have seem kinda useless now.

If you are running the aeromotive pump, then you really need the regulator also.
You can GUT the overflow valve and just use it for the pump connection, then install the regulator right after the overflow valve.

You will then have infinite adjustability, best way to go in my opinion.

Someone on here just posted about an Ebay regulator that they have been using for 3 years, without problems, and it was like $15.00.
I want to say it was Teddybear, but I'm probably mistaken.

Oh no, I never installed any of that stuff.. haven't had time.. Other than the -8 pickup The fuel system is stock right now.

I, too, saw the thread about josh and his el cheapo reg. Makes sense though.. he was too cheap to buy my billet grille. :D

Actually, the lift pump on the 3rd gen died last week.. I'm thinking strongly about putting the high dollar stuff on it. I'm on a borrowed stock pump right now.

I did the trick about a year ago... Put on a fuel press guage at the same time. Had 45-50psi at idle, but it started making the lift pump tic tic tic tic. Put on a carter pusher pump and took the extra spring back out. 30psi idle now. I know there is a diff between pressure and volume. You guys think I would be better with 40idle???

Guys with 40psi idle what kind of psi you guys getting crusing at 2krpms???

one possible outcome of a very high fuel supply pressure...

39544Broken_Pump1.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like a 3000 series with ag gov and I think I have seen that pump before and it was NOT caused by fuel pressure........maybe to much RPM like 6k plus and NO load ??????

Smokem, how much inlet pressure, and why not more pressure as opposed to less??

Well... I have it at 40psi at idle. IT will run 60 down the highway though at constant rpm. Lowest i've seen is 25psi under full throttle.

IT's amazing how it's affected the way the transmission shifts. It's like I wasn't making any torque before.

ok, that was just the story i got with the pic that it was running high supply pressure (100psi+) when it split...

Back