Parachutes at 150 mph

When I pointed out the quick reference part to a tech inspector, he pointed this part out to me (at the top of the quick reference chart):
In no way is this Quick Reference Chart intended to supersede
or replace the current NHRA Rulebook

When I pointed out the quick reference part to a tech inspector, he pointed this part out to me (at the top of the quick reference chart):

Yeah, most of them don't like the quick reference chart. Neither do I for that matter.

Paul

when is the last pass you made in a comp dragster? thousands...sure dude.

two months ago testing a new top dragster , 4.27 1/8 mile
and again
three weeks ago at the Dallas divisional divs 4 event , and in testing following that event .

any your reason for that quip

Last edited:
I think what Mike was getting at Greg was that by saying "thousands" you are insinuating more than 1000 or 2000. That is a lot of passes for anyone that is not a full time driver.

I will have to dig it out again, but I swear it said that anything 9.99 and faster have to have a shoot, but dosent have to be pulled unless you want to up to 150mph. Thats one of the things I have about the rule book, it is always clear as mud.:doh: Dont even get me started on having to run a $500 SFI balancer on a motor that turns 4k :bang :bang :bang :hehe:

Or damn driveshaft loops, waste of money Ill tell ya. :poke::hehe::rockwoot:

I think what Mike was getting at Greg was that by saying "thousands" you are insinuating more than 1000 or 2000. That is a lot of passes for anyone that is not a full time driver.

I have over 1900 1/4 mile passes in my 02. I'm for sure not a full time driver. They add up in a hurry. This coming weekend, I have points races Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Depending on how many rounds I go, I will probably do ~30 passes. They add up in a hurry.

Paul

Also the 150 mph rule only applies to vehicles running slower then 9.99. If you run 9.99 or faster NHRA rules mandate a parachute no matter what MPH

Where exactly does it say that, we have never been told we need a chute untill we hit 150 and I don't see that happening.

Or damn driveshaft loops, waste of money Ill tell ya. :poke::hehe::rockwoot:
Can't agree with you on this one the thought of one breaking off on the front and jamming into the track resulting in a pole vaulting truck doesn't appeal to me much, besides they should safe more damage to the truck and track if one does break.

Can't agree with you on this one the thought of one breaking off on the front and jamming into the track resulting in a pole vaulting truck doesn't appeal to me much, besides they should safe more damage to the truck and track if one does break.

Mythbusters proved this to be a bust of a vehicle pole vaulting in the air. :poke::hehe::hehe:

I have over 1900 1/4 mile passes in my 02. I'm for sure not a full time driver. They add up in a hurry. This coming weekend, I have points races Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Depending on how many rounds I go, I will probably do ~30 passes. They add up in a hurry.

Paul

For the record, I was the first one to claim "thousands" of passes in a 9.99 or quicker car on this thread ;) I thought about it after I wrote that. The actual number is about 2800-3000 for me, does that count as "thousands"? I spent 5 years running twice a week at weekly races (and going rounds on most occasions), and also running all of the major events within 1500 miles or so (and also going lots of rounds).

Mythbusters proved this to be a bust of a vehicle pole vaulting in the air. :poke::hehe::hehe:
All I know is that some significant collateral damage can occur with broken U-joints. Imagine if it takes out a brake line (which seems entirely possible).

I'd bet that's a joke. Aaron makes loops.

I've been racing for 20 years, and yes well over 1000 passes , 280 in competition alone during my competition eliminator campaign, all were in the mid 7 second zone, and several hundred or so in low 7 second high 6 second outlaw Pro Mod. I have 250 passes in the Dr Performance truck, quite a few in the 8 second zone. When I built the truck, I was at the local track testing twice a week.
As to the parachute rule, the rules are very specific, if you run slower then 9.99, then you only need a parachute if your mph is over 150. If you run 9.99 or faster you are required a parachute. Racing Rules are written in blood, if you are required to have any specific piece of safety equipment , you should not try to skirt the rules, but go spend the money on the best possible safety gear. It’s only your life you gambling. If you can afford a truck that can run that fast, then will a parachute break you?
I’ve pulled a parachute in a 6000 truck in land speed racing , and it makes a difference , not like in a dragster , but it will help slow you down.

Why wasn't there an air shut off in the Dr P truck then ?
I'm not bashing...that's a valid question given your last statement Greg.

This guy knows a little about throwing out the laundry. I bet that chit hurt.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3Y_Qcqulw&NR=1&feature=fvwp[/MEDIA]

Why wasn't there an air shut off in the Dr P truck then ?
I'm not bashing...that's a valid question given your last statement Greg.

no NHRA or IHRA rule requires it , and those are the rules of the most of the track. I will never use on on my dragster eather. kill the power , kill the fuel. I had a CO2 injection on the truck as well , its knocks the fire out of it , even if the compressor cover is blown off.

Please show where faster than 9.99 needs a shute. Have been there for a year and have raced at some of the toughest teched tracks and never have even had a tech ask about lack of a shute.

Not arguing that we need one, but not in the rules until 150mph that I can find.

"Mr. Diesel" still doesn't understand how a "diesel" works:doh::hehe:

Sure he does..... He obviously taught Gale banks the same thing.... hence Banks and no shutoffs. :kick::hehe::hehe::hehe:LOL

Back